My Line Array "bookshelf" project, help needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I want to build a Line Array. I already read the James Griffin paper, and a lot of topics in this forum. I want a reference speaker, to sound very, very good! My amplification is 30w from pentode EL35 pp tube amplififer.

What I want to do is a little different. The enclosures will be on a shelf, there is a picture at the end of the post. The shelf is 79cm high, the enclosures distance to each other will be about 220cm. The listener position will be 200cm far from each speaker. My ears will be about 125cm high. The enclosure can't be more than 120cm high.

What I plan to do, is use 10x 3'' drivers or 9x 4'' drivers. I thought about using Creative Sound WR125, Aurasound NS3 or TangBang. The tweeter I think that will be a Aurum Cantus G3, that will be on the side of the midbass array, in my ears level.

What do you guys think about the drivers arrangement? Any drivers suggestions?

I will use a subwoofer for the bass section.

Thank you

Guilherme

Ok,

If I use the Creative WR125 drivers (10 per side) is it better to do open baffle, vented or sealed enclosure?

Attachments

• 50 %dsc00268.jpg
    50 %dsc00268.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 533
Hey, I'm no expert... I have built several line arrays and mine were OB. The thing about open baffles is that if you do not like the sound, you can always box them later. (with some planning for braces in the original design).

Buy yourself a case of Tang bands and have a go at it.

if anyone else is interested in something like this, as i am, but doesn't want to spend the money on the WR125s (and if you were, would you not go for the FR125s?), how about something like this TB at Partsexpress?
Anyone see problems with this driver? It looks as if you could use it full range...

Line Array Design

The WR125S is an excellent choice for a line array driver. You likely don't need the ST (truncated flange) version assuming that you have a reasonably low crossover (my recent line array design version uses 12 WR125S drivers and crosses to a line of 9 ribbon tweeters below 2000 Hz).

It is common to assume that a full range or near full range driver would permit a line array to be implemented without a tweeter line. But if you read my white paper you'll realize that the comb filtering and loss of sensitivity as you go beyond a wavelength center to center spacing just kills the response. Look at Darren Kuzma's line array with and without equalization in the Parts Express showcase at:

Darren's 32 driver Line Array

He uses 2" Tangband drivers but without heavy use of equalization you just can not get acceptable response in the 10-20 kHz range as shown in his plots.

Jim

Hello Jim,

I have read your paper. I know that we can't use full ranges drivers because the crossover point need's to be the c-t-c wavelenght.

The problem is that I can't afford a line of ribbons, so I thought about using just one per speaker. But not in the middle of the midbass line, I can use it in the side of the midbass array. So the crossover point can't be too low right? What about 3khz 12dB?

yes, sorry about that, i forgot about comb effects. so, would it be okay to use, let's say, 5 of the previously mentioned drivers, cut them off at 2500 hz and use a single ribbon as Guijs has proposed?
I would imagine that it would be a little strange to have the near field effect up to 2500hz and then lose it above that as soon as you change your listening height...or am i mistaken as to what the effect would be?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.