Two identical drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2005, 06:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Two identical drivers

I know most people like answering specific questions, but I've got a hypothetical one.

If I put two identical wide range (~80-15kHz) drivers in a box, what are the pros cons of (a) running the same range to each driver or (b) splitting the signal and let one emit the higher half of the range and the other take the lower half?
Old 12th December 2005, 07:15 PM   #2
JohnSz is offline JohnSz  United States
diyAudio Member

C) Run both drivers upto the crossover point, where the upper one would produce only the high frequencies. Crossover point to be determined by distance between drivers.

I believe this is what is typicallly done. Read up on full-range drivers, etc.
Old 12th December 2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

HogieWan,

You might want to try what John has said. Rather than run one high and one low, run one full range and the other you cut off the high end. This will give you greater bass output.

Having said that, it's only a guess as it really depends on the drivers. Why not experiment?
Old 12th December 2005, 09:10 PM   #4
rjb is offline rjb  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

a) If you run both drivers over the same range you will get the same performance as one driver only, except the nulls and dips in the frequency range will tend to be emphasised, (refer MarkMck's site), and you will get better power handling. However it can sound like a multiple source, and the upper frequencies suffer if the drivers are big.

b) if you run one driver low and the other high the crossover point is not easy to get perfect, but you will get better clarity as the bass load is taken off the high range unit. There is no other advantage in terms of power handling, in fact the efficiency is reduced and the cost/complexity increased.

c) the single full range plus bass only arrangement provides better power handling in the bass, where it is needed, increases bass output, so can be used to compensate for shortfall there, yet retains the single source for higher frequencies. It is really a compromise between a) and b)

The best approach tends to depend on the driver size and the crossover point. For example small Jorden's and Bandors run type a), but are then best combined with crossover to a larger low range unit in the one/two hundreds to provide better bass performance and power handling. Jorden 4 inchers can be run both full range, sometimes with a helper tweeter,however in my opinion those I have heard have not sounded as good as a single unit on voice and small instumentals, but better on heavy orchestral.

Larger drivers, say above about 6 inch, generally to go for type c).

I am not aware of any commercial units that go for b), although there are some that use two identical bass/mid units arranged as bass only/mid only plus tweeter for the very highs.

Hide this!Advertise here!