Stuffing....any guidelines? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2005, 09:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Stuffing....any guidelines?

I have rehoused a set of Kef Cadenza drivers (but have used some Vifa tweeters) in a new cabinet. I have kept the volume similar, 50 ltrs as against the Cadenzas 45 but as you can see I have altered the proportions somewhat!

Click the image to open in full size.

The passive bass radiator is on the back panel. I have fitted a full width bracing panel between the sides, about 18" long, and at a slight angle so as the rear waves from the mid-bass dont hit the passive directly, almost like the panel in a transmition line, but open both ends.

The origional Kefs are pretty much stuffed with blocks of foam, at the momment I have nothing in the cabinet at all just to check all the (secondhand) drivers and x-overs work. What are the actual effects of foam and or stuffing in a speaker. Is it just trial and error to see what works?

Thanks for any help.

Paul.
Old 11th December 2005, 09:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Am I missing something here? It appears the tweeter is pointing at the ceiling.
Old 11th December 2005, 10:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I take it we're talking omni directional here to a major extent. Interesting.

Stuffing is used to damp the higher harmonics generated in any hollow, resonant enclosure. Take a look at Martin King's site, and Bob Brines' site too for more.

I would suggest, looking at the drivers and enclosure, that you'll want to try 0.25lbs ft^3. if it needs a bit more, try 0.5lbs ft^3, though avoid using more than that if possible. Dracon hollow-fill is as good as anything, and cheap too. Give fibreglass a miss though. Horrible stuff, and not great for the health either.

Best
Scott
Old 11th December 2005, 10:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A couple of shots showing the internal bracing. This fixes the sides, back and front at irregular distances. The large "diagonal" brace that connects the sides is there to prevent the back waves from the mid-bass unit from hitting the passive radiator full on, they are deflected towards the bottom of the cabinet then back up to the passive.

I have only had a quick listen but I am amazed they sound as good as they do. Apart from the internal volume that is similar to the Cadenza's all the rest is pure guesswork! I cant get my head around any of the speaker design software, infact I cant even manage to download most of it so this is a trial and error project.

Scott, they are based on the Shahinians in as much as they have drivers pointing in the same general direction, thats about as technical as I get!

Paul.

Hide this!Advertise here!