Irrational ratios/enclosure dimensions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The square root of 2 is ~1.414, not 1.141.

Usual quoted enclosure ratios are based on:
phi = golden ratio = 1.6180339887499 why do I remember this number to so many decimal places? ;)

IMO, none of these is better than any other or any number you could come up with. It makes a lot more difference how you mount your drivers on the baffle (for diffraction) than what the box dimension ratios are. Lining or stuffing in the box is used to damp out the resonances.....

Your app calculates axial resonances, but there are also tangential and oblique resonances, and all are excited differently depending on where you mount the drivers...

Tapered boxes are good too; but these ratios are certainly better than integers, 1/2/2 for example. AND you should also line &/or stuff. Nothin' wrong with belt and braces. And positiong drivers non-equidistant from box edges, (which should have radii > 4 inches) also helps.

But one thing at a time, this is a nifty little calculator.

Ron E said:
Usual quoted enclosure ratios are based on:
phi = golden ratio = 1.6180339887499 why do I remember this number to so many decimal places? ;)

IMO, none of these is better than any other or any number you could come up with...
Ron,

Agreed. But I tend to use the square root of phi (c. 1.27202) for the front of my woofer and subwoofer boxes as it looks better, rather than for any sound reasons. That way the ratio W/H is 1.618/1 (and when you're looking at it from a standing position, perspective also fools you into thinking it's the same ratio W/D).

Internal standing waves I try to damp out (or confuse) by:
1) damping materials;
2) internal bracing with small (eg 2" or 3") holes in it;
3) internal bracing at odd angles and shapes (eg. dowels of different sizes, braces at 15, 22.5, 30 and 45 degrees).

UNLESS I'm doing a TL...

But, Vikash, I think you've got 1.28 in your calculator anyway - and that's close enough to 1.27202

Vikash said:
I use perl ;)

print "There can be only one\n";

:cool:

If there was an equivelant of php/GD for perl then that would work. I'll have to rummage through cpan again. Couldn't see anything obvious last time...

There is. If you look through Freshmeat for perl-based image galleries, it'll list the equivalent module. I forget what it is, but that's how I found it ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.