Peerless Drivers ... Wise Choice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

After sitting on the fence for some time, I have finally decided to build my own speakers for my first HT project. I have narrowed down the driver choices to either Peerless or Seas (Basic Line), based largley upon what I have learned from this forum; reasonable cost, relatively good value and performance, etc.

While I intend to do the prudent thing as a rookie and copy established designs, I am a little concerned about choosing Peerless, given the apparent relatively few number of projects available using them, compared to Seas for example. I know that experienced and respected designers such as John Krutke and others appear to prefer Seas, so on that basis, should the Peerless/Seas decision be a nobrainer?

I would be happy for your advice, please :D

Sorry for the lengthy post...

Bruce

Peerless Drivers

Noodle Snacks,

Thanks for the response. I intend to build MTM's for the mains, and MT's for the rear surrounds. Side surrounds will be something very close to Rabbitz' design. I have an Avalanche 18 that I bought some time ago, so am not sure if the mains should be 5-1/2" of 6-1/2"-whichever is likely to integrate best with this sub.

I was an audio enthusiast 30 years ago, and had JBL Verona's and McIntosh stuff back then. I have never heard (to my knowledge) aluminum cone drivers, so am not familiar with whatever signature sound (if any) they have...

The price difference from Solen for the Peerless and Sease Basic Line drivers is nominal, so cost is not a consideration between the two. It is just that when I look at all the comparisons between drivers (John Krutke and others), Peerless mid-woofers are rarely included....

Thanks,

Bruce

Both the peerless HDS drivers and the Seas CA drivers are excellent choices. I would have a hard time choosing between them, but in the end I would probably side with the Peerless drivers because of their dashing good looks :). I have the cheaper Peerless CSX drivers in my bookshelf speakers and they are amazing, especially considering the price.

The Seas "L" series of drivers are also excellent drivers (from looking at measurements and the opinions of others, I have not used them myself), a step up from the CA series I would imagine, but because of their aluminum cone there is extra design work to be done in the crossover. The crossover for an L driver would probably have to be 3rd or 4th order, with a notch filter to deal with the cone resonance. This would also add to the cost of the crossover.

I have just used an HDS exclusive - 830882 - well impressed :)

Attached is the FR graph with the mic about 10 cm from it - ignore anything below 380 and above 4000 (xover points I'm using) because I'm in the process of messing about with the speakers and the tweeters are incorrect temporary ones - I should have disconnected the W + T....

The FR is pretty flat and they sound great :)

Attachments

• 830882fr.jpg
    830882fr.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 351
Given you are building speakers based on others designs, let the designs and their reputation be the guide, with how you plan to use them. It is the overall design you need to be choose from, vs the brand name of one of the componets of a design.

As far as brands, Seas and Peerless, are both excellent brands and have been around for a long time, making some very good drivers. I believe Peerless has a more of a "value" driver (bang for buck) than the Seas line. Seas has higher end products in their lineup.

From my limited experience, partial to Peerless, because a Peerless 8" driver was part of my very first speaker project, back in the late 70's. I have used Peerless mid-bass units over the years, and they have performed very well and have held up over time. I have not used any Seas mid-woofers, but they are well respected, by many, and you would probably be very happy with them, too. I have used Seas Excel tweeters, and have performed well and held up, as well. Some old pictures here.

I have sugestions for the process of choosing, and a specific choice.

First, you're going (very wisely, IMHO) for an existing established design. In that case, I suggest you look at designs as a whole rather than choosing the make or type of drivers first.

Then, consider the room size and ensure the overall speaker size is right for the room. Several kit suppliers provide guidelines or will advise on this. IMO, this matter of sizing the speaker to the room is more important than the question you ask about 5inch or 6inch drivers.

Now a specific suggestion.
You want really good speakers for AV use, complete set, with compatible mains and others.
You evidently want good value.
MTM for the mains, MT for the rears.
You want DIY but will use an existing design.
To me, this all adds up to the AV range of kits by GR Research:
http://www.gr-research.com

I have no affiliation, but I'm getting awfully tempted by their AV/3, as I've been looking for a small sensitive TL design myself (and posted about this earlier this year).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.