Suggestions on my crossover design? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2005, 06:36 AM   #11
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Paul,

If you have one of the sound cards is Claudio's database then you can probably use the levels recommended. The latency is something though that may be affected by the combination of sc and computer so you probably should do the tests to work that out to be on the safe side.

This (the latency) was an area that I had read before but didn't fully understand, and didn't worry about, I didn't realise that the measurement.in.l and measurement.in.r (under the system folder) were changing every time I did a measurement, because the time and date stamp on them never changed. I also didn't realise that changes of as little as 0.2 ms could make a difference... I'm one of the lucky ones in that the latency difference for my card is allways the same for both channels, so I can just check the reference channel and make sure it is the same whenever I do a measurement (and redo it if it isn't) and know that my phase measurements will be correct.

All I did to check channel to channel latency difference was set up an mls signal (with loop cable attached), and kept hitting record with measurement.in.l (under system folder) on screen, with the measurement.in.r dataset added. Both waveforms always lined up (with the occasional very slight difference in amplitude on a few peaks). I also could see from this what the most freqent latency value was, so I knew which one I should use for my measurements.... one particular latency came up about 60% of the time.

Tony.
Old 11th December 2005, 02:05 PM   #12
claudio is offline claudio  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Paul wrote:
Is it possible to skip the whole soundcard testing, and use the appropriate values that Claudio gives for the soundcard, and go straight to the calibration?
Hi,
maybe you are refering to the sound card impedance calibration (impedance and capacitance values): in this case the answer is yes, in my opinion; for the rest follow Tony advises.

Regards,
Claudio

Hide this!Advertise here!