BSC Calculator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read this interesting article on baffle step correction from Martin J. King (Simple sizing of the components in a BSC circuit). I've always wondered about getting correct values of the resistor and inductor in the BSC network, especially when you only want partial correction, such as 2 or 3 dB, and not a full 6 dB. Here's a spreadsheet that will show the desired corrections, from 1 to 6 dB. Just enter the net values of the Re, Le and baffle width of your system. Anyway, please let me know if there are errors on the calc. Shoot me an email if you want a copy.

Regards,

Hong

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thank you for a great article. Made life easy for me. I'm thinking of incorporating a switch that will have 3 settings, 0dB, 3dB, and 6dB to dial in the correct BSC depending on where I position my speakers. Now the Ohmite rheostat you built only varies the resistance, not the inductance of the BSC network. How does that differ? Thanks.

Hong

Technically, there is one resistance setting on the rheostat that matches the inductor and produces the correction at the intended frequency as it was designed. In use, I dial the resistance up or down an ohm or two for different Lowther drivers so the circuit is really mistuned but not by much. I don't think it is such a big issue in my room. If I were dialing it up and down four or five ohms I think the mistuning would become a problem and be clearly audible.

The other setting I use is zero ohms, shorting out the circuit, to hear the driver uncorrected producing the infamous Lowther shout. This has convinced a few skeptical people of the power of the correction circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.