calling all Torontonians

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll be in TO for the holidays and would like a few recommendations for both diy speaker parts shops and good listening rooms (not future shop).
I've been to TO several times as my wife of 18 years is from there, but I haven't been audio shop hopping in a long time.
we will be staying with her mom in the beaches, if that's a help.
any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
mdr

I second the active surpuss recommendation. Lots of interesting odds and ends. Some interesting things east of that shop at supremetronic too.

As for HiFi shops, American hifi (i think thats right) way up eglington is the best from what I've seen. Also Applause on queen east is interesting. Kind of an "alternative" hifi shop. Both places give me the feeling that they think you should feel lucky to pass through their doors. Executive hifi on yonge is good without nuch attitude.

Oh, almost forgot the best places. Theres a place that does vintage as well as some new and diy stuff. I think its called audio oasis and its in the old part of Dundas west. Its pretty cool. For a long time they had a pair of those absurdly large horns with jordan drivers that Nelson pass has on his site and you can buy gainclone kits there. The coolest place of all though is ring audio. They have old tube amps, things like goodmans and tannoy drivers, lots of old speakers, etc. And the guys that work there are great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.