How much power for dipole Dayton RS12 HiFis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to buy an amp for my Dayton RS Dipole speaker project and was wondering how much power you think the dual 12" HiFi woofers will want? I know a guy that has an Audiosource AmpOne that he can ship to me that does 100w RMS @4 ohms x 2 but I'll have to pay him first for it. Do you think 100w will be enough in a dipole config? I'll be EQing the low end of these to be as flat as possible to 20hz and they will be used in a room that will be roughly 13x18x8 for music duties. I do not want a separate sealed sub to take care of the bottom octave.

Thanks!

Maz

100W will for sure be able to bottom out the woofers in free air (aka dipole). However, getting much output at 20Hz with only 2 12'' will be more difficult. Have you tried playing around with SL's dipole spreadsheets? What dipole config were you going for (h-frame, W-frame, etc.)?

-Brian

I did mess around with SL's spreadsheets a LONG time ago, so maybe I should check back into those.

The speakers are going to use an H-frame and resemble the Orions, only that mine will have an MTM for the top section using Dayton RS180s and a Dayton RS28 tweeter.

Thanks for the input and for anyone else who wishes to chime in!

I think that for design purposes you can treat them similarly to the Peerless XLS in the Orion. Two 10"s per side will give you reasonable output, two 12"s per side for higher volume and deeper bass. The dipole worksheet really tells the story in detail.

Either configuration, in dipole, would benefit greatly from a sealed monopole sub- but most of the benefit would be noticed for home theater.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.