Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2006, 07:02 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Website Updated!

Quote:
Originally posted by audioferret
.... ghaunadaur99/audio/ht3.html[
which Toshibia pre & power?

dave
Old 21st February 2006, 05:48 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Vintage Baby!

The Preamp, Tuner, and Amplifier are the Toshiba C-B15 (Rcvr), F-B15 (tuner), M-B15 (2x45W amp). These pieces are vintage that I have upgraded by replacing the capacitors and cleaned them up. They were manufactured circa 1978-80 and are still running great. The amp scares me as I have not been able to get into it to inspect/replace capacitors.

I will eventually dedicate this as an office system, using my Tivoli Model CD as a source.

-AF
Old 21st February 2006, 06:36 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Audioferret:

Great pics! Keep them coming!

Could you give a quick review of the finished project? Were your sonic expectations met and/or exceeded? I'm just about to order this kit and I'd like to hear about your results.
Old 21st February 2006, 07:55 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Vintage Baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by audioferret
The Preamp, Tuner, and Amplifier are the Toshiba C-B15 (Rcvr), F-B15 (tuner), M-B15 (2x45W amp).
Can you post pics... these are different than the ones i have SY, ST, SC335 pre, tuner, power amp, and a SY665 preamp. The power amp does about the same amount of power.

dave
Old 21st February 2006, 11:49 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Boxerboy: The speakers exceeded my expectations by far. I am still burning them in (30+hours now) and will provide a complete critique around 100 hours. In the meantime, I feel these speakers are perfect for me. The bass is very impressive, even with tycho(sp?) drums.

I had cowanrg over for a second set of ears. My 45wpc amp was not enough to run the speakers in my 15X25 vaulted ceiling living room. He brought his 2 35w aleph class-a monoblock amps that double down to .5 ohms; as well as a rotel 200wpc amp. Both Amps were better able to give the speakers the power they needed. I liked the sound of the Rotels better, but there were many other factors that could have been affecting comparisons.

Anyway, cowanrg agreed that the speakers sounded excellent, noting that he felt that the bass was a little too pronounced. I did notice the bloat, but only after it was pointed out to me...leave it to preference and burn in for now.

Overall, I highly recommend these speakers. I recently travelled to ListenUp and listened to the Sonus Faber Cremonas through a Rotel 200W amp. It was not an A-B comparison, sources were different, and the rooms were different. However, I feel no need to ever pick up the Cremona. I am satisfied. These speakers made my wife dance. Nuff said.

I am building the UCD-180s in monoblock form to give me the power I need. I am also planning a 3-way active crossover so that I can one day work towards tri-amping these speakers.

Planet10: I will add pictures after I get back from out of state next week.

-AF
Old 12th March 2006, 12:48 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default page updated

I have added two more pages of construction and pictures of the source equipment. These will probably be moved to their own page on the site under the category "source equipment"

I am around 50 hours, currently playing the "Planet of the Apes Soundtrack"

http://www.geocities.com/ghaunadaur99/audio/diy.html

-AF

Hide this!Advertise here!