Sansui Replacment parts....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The other day I had my main amp plugged into my computer and it was on half way up. It is 120 watts per channel.

I had it running through my Sansui SP-1500's that I spent many hours on restoring. I replaced one woofer with a nos one from ebay ( sansui w-1500)

puzzlecoated all cones, repaired the midranges metal dome dust caps and pulled out and glued the upper mid caps.

I sanded the cabs down ( nice REAL wood veneer :) ) and just used 4 coats of polyurethane to coat them , with steel wool in between coats to get them absolutly smooth and to give a really deep glow to them. They look more like furnature in my room, and sound SO MUCH better than my marantz's.

When I was cleaning, I accidentally unplugged the amp from the pc- while it was on..... consequently I had time enough to jump up and watch the meter jump to 120 wrms and hit the off button, but the damage had been done.. all four dome tweeters had been blown.
:bawling:

Any idea where I can get a replacment set for under 50 bucks?

heres some pics of my beautifully restored speakers. They didnt have grilles when I got them so I made some. I like the red cloth better, its more vintage looking.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Once upon a time I had an exclusively Sansui system.
Turntable, Amp, speakers and Cassette deck.
It sounded faboulous.
Unfortunately I bought a cd player and the cdplayer sounded dreadful in the system, so I thought that it was the amp and the speakers that was not upto level after all.
I changed and changed everything.
Now after 15 years of "upgrade" I have not reached the level of musical enjoyment that I used to get with Old Sansui Turntable amp and speakers.
Sometime I will be putting back the system, meanwhile because of lack of space, they'll just gather dust.

Mine sounds great with my computer.. oh wow, movies are brought to life and music is there floating around the room (due to the large mids)
I did find that with my fisher I need to use the eq big time, and it sounds horrible just it, so I have the headphone output of my onkyo running into the fsher so I can controll bass and trebble, and it sounds much better, but not as good as the onkyo alone. These also go much higher than my marantz's (due to the metal dome tweeters-which are now sadly gone :( )

Whats the bass responce on these things? :eek:

Ive read old manunals that say they go down to 35 hz, but I think thats actually true usable spectrum instead of todays where they list the absolute lowest the system goes at any db level ( 2.1 30watt altec lansing computer speakers that go to 20hz with its 4 inch sub...give me a break)

When listening to music and movies these things have tremendous lower region bass, and without the annoying 60hz resonance that my marantz's have. I believe I can get down inthe upper 20's with these...just don't have the dbmeter to test it, but I did run a 20hz test tone at 1/4 volume and thought I was going to have a heart attack! any lower and all you can hear is air coming out.

Another thing I like about these- thick cones on the woofers, the woofers don't requier as much movment to make bass, and the huge 1 inch thick sound damped cabinets!! oh yeah, and the 99db efficiency rating :D

I think they are very fun speakers to play with, as they really rrespond to adjustments on EQ's better than other speakers, so you can really set it up the way you want to.

well.... still havent found tweeters for them, wired up one of the mids as a tweeter in each one. Bleh. Can't find any inexpensive 4 ohm tweeters out there, and certainly no 16 ohm ones. partsexpress HAD some, but when I went back to buy them they were sold out and their no longer selling them!

Will it mess with anything if I put 8 ohm tweeters in there, or will it only change the frequency cut off?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.