Just finished some BR-1's, a newbie's initial impressions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2005, 11:48 PM   #1
Emprov is offline Emprov  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Just finished some BR-1's, a newbie's initial impressions

Just finished Parts Express's BR-1 kit and have them playing The Rippington's "Curves Ahead" in the background. Overall, they're really pleasant speakers to listen to, not harsh, just really smooth. The bass is focused, tight, but not boomy. In fact, I'm really impressed at just how tight the bass is! I turned a sub on and added just a touch of boom to the low end and it's a perfect compliment. Mids seems to be a bit lacking and the highs aren't as sharp as I'd like. The highs are definitely there but there not very forward. Instead they seem to exhibit a very smooth and gradual roll off, a bit too smooth for my tastes. For someone looking for a great sounding little budget speaker though to listen to over dinner or when you have company over, this is a great choice. If you're looking for something to base your system around, I'd look elsewhere. These things are going in my in-laws beach condo tomorrow so they'll be perfect for that, (inexpensive speakers that sound great and you don't mind if they get a bit trashed).

And now, back to your regularly scheduled forum.
Old 3rd December 2005, 09:30 PM   #2
rj11c is offline rj11c  United States
diyAudio Member

i was thinking of useing them for my rear surrounds but i'm holding out, i know at that price point they are hard to beat for cheap speakers they seem to be a preaty good buy espesialy if you get them on sale
Old 5th December 2005, 05:24 AM   #3
Emprov is offline Emprov  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure that I'd use them as part of an HT setup, the tweets are too smooth, to my ears at least. They're pretty darn good for music, especially when you want it in the background but, for HT, I'd use a design that's a little more biting. Wayne's Dayton Budget HT's make great sounding rear surrounds, I'd look into those.
Old 5th December 2005, 11:07 AM   #4
JohnSz is offline JohnSz  United States
diyAudio Member

I have essentially a BR-1 kit in my own box, and would agree with your statements. Bass is its best attribute, and maybe just a touch too much, when against the wall. Great value casual listening speaker.

Hide this!Advertise here!