Proac 2.5 clones in NZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking to build a pair Proac 2.5 clones, but im situated in Wellington, New Zealand.
Wondering if anyone from NZ has built these before as i need to source drivers and crossover components and am unsure where to begin looking.
Would be willing to import drivers, but only if there is no distibutor in NZ.

Thanks for any suggestions

Hi Munkey,

I have considered this project, but Im too busy these days and have so many pcbs I need to get going:)
I think Ausie has SS distributors, NZ has none. Aussie I cant remember but they are too expensive and I would try asia.

Checkout http://www.leda.com.sg/products.htm

If you ever build them BTW, I would love to hear them. Also dont forget to have a good read of Troels papers.

Good luck Arthur

Do yourself a favor

I built the Pro Ac 2.5 clones. Musical & accurate bass to 30Hz, good mids to 2kHz and flawed above 2kHz. This is using best quality components in the crossover. For another opinion that is simular to mine, read the Pro Ac 2.5 review at audio asylum speaker reviews. Although the author was polite, read in-between the lines so to speak.

The Pro Ac 2.5 clone design is pushing the midbass too high in frequency & the SS D2010/8513 tweeter is not a good performer. Does the factory modified (doped) drivers sound different? I do not know. I also know the '8513' is a SS budget item at their low-end of the cost scale.

For a slightly higher cost, use the Seas Excel T25CF-001 & crossover at 2kHz with the Scan Speak 18W/8535. If driving the speakers at 40 watts RMS or more, bump the crossover frequency up from 2kHz to 2.2kHz.

A look at a good crossover is at this site- www.knology.net/~wesnor/8545kt25.html

I tweaked the crossover ever so slightly for the midbass only.

With this conversion one will experience breathtaking accurate upper mids & high frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.