Infinity RSDS12 woofers reconing time!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I have on repair a pair of Infinity RSDS12 woofers (4 Ohms,moulded carbon/polypropylene membranes).These drivers belong to a self-made home system and they're NEVER installed in a car.
The outer suspensions had rotten some time ago and,after several attempts of my friend (the loudspeakers' owner),he managed to eventually get a pair of original suspensions.
I reconed/repaired quite a few drivers until now,but they were exclusively "pro-sound" drivers (paper membranes,impregnated-textile suspensions).My actual concern regarding the Infinities is that I'm not sure what adhesive to use.The polypropylene membrane and/or the spongy (not rubber,but closer to,say,a spongy Neoprene) suspension could be easily dissolved or corroded if glued with the improper adhesive.
What do you guys use?
Any hints?
Thanks in advance for your inputs!
Regards,

motherone said:
If they're infinity Reference Series car subs,
Yes,that's the stuff.
motherone said:
you may have better luck in a car audio forum.
Ummm...I don't follow such forums because I'm not interested AT ALL in car audio.However,do you have a link or something?
...I just thought that in a DIY forum there are more tech-inclined guys,as opposed to a,say,different approach as found with the automotive guys.
motherone said:
Or have you tried e-mailing infinity to see what they recommend?
Not yet,but that's a good idea.
Thanks for your reply!
Regards,

Le Basseur said:

Yes,that's the stuff.

Ummm...I don't follow such forums because I'm not interested AT ALL in car audio.However,do you have a link or something?

Unfortunately, I don't know what the popular car audio forums are these days. Google might help you find one.

Le Basseur said:

...I just thought that in a DIY forum there are more tech-inclined guys,as opposed to a,say,different approach as found with the automotive guys.

Regards,

I'm sure there's probably someone on here that knows the answer, but they're probably going to give an educated guess... Unless they've repaired other "graphite cone" woofers from Infinity (home or car audio), they're probably not going to know.

If it's like most of the RS series I've seen, it's just graphite-doped polypropylene, so it might just be treated like your normal poly cone to foam surround type repair. IIRC they use a foamed-rubber surround (some stuff that was inbetween foam and rubber cost wise). You might be able to dig it up on a standard speaker repair FAQ or something.

La Basseur, I'm redoing the surrounds on some 10" woofers right now. I'm not a professional, so even though these methods worked for me, your results may not be the same.

I used contact cement to attach the foam surround to the paper cone. I needed an adhesive that would grip right away without clamping. The usual precautions about contact cement apply here-work in a ventilated area if using solvent based cement and you only get one chance to attach the surround in the right place. If you use contact cement, try it on a small area of the surround to make sure it doesn't destroy or deform the surround.

After a 24 hour resting time I moved on to attaching surround to frame. You'll have to get the cone centered before gluing. The best way is to remove the dust cap and shim the voice coil gap. My surrounds didn't come with dust caps, so I used (4) plastic clothespins to hold the surround to the frame as I moved the cone until it didn't scrape while I moved it up and down.

I used a product called 'Shoe Goo' to put four small blobs of glue 90 degrees apart on the frame and clamped the blobs with clothespins. The Shoe Goo looks and acts like a silicone adhesive without the vinegar smell.

Another 24 hour rest, and I'll attach the rest of the surround with a light coating of Shoe Goo between the blobs and attach the cardboard ring to the surround with Shoe Goo.

These speakers are my first try at refoaming. We'll see how long the repair lasts.

Here's a link to refoaming instructions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.