Blown speaker (coil?) anything I can do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an eminence speaker... it is a cheapie Legend series, that blew presumably from overheating. The rest of the speaker is good as new, so I don't have the heart to throw it out... is there anything I can do to resurrect it? Can I take it apart and re-wind the coil? The resistance reads 1.5 ohms, and the speaker was originally 8 ohms. I can hear a slight bobbin rub when I push the cone in with my hand.

I contacted Eminence about the Warranty and they gave me a real hard time, and I'll have to pay for shipping to and fro... which will cost more than the speaker itself... and that is risking that they will not honor the warrenty anyway.

Eminance or someone else may have an appropriate recone kit availible that would allow you to replace the entire moving assembly (voice-coil, spider, cone, surround, dust cap, gasket, lead wires) etc for some cost, it may even be possible to buy a new voice coil, it is worth investigating.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
aletheian said:
Thaaat's what I figured. I'll probably try rewinding the thing myself... anyone have any tips?

When you get VC failure due to overheating it usually also causes the VC former to become distorted, so even if you can rewind it, it will probably still rub inside the gap.

If you can't get a recone kit, then you might well be able to get a whole new driver from Emminence cheaper than sending the whole cab there and back.

noodle_snacks said:
Eminance or someone else may have an appropriate recone kit availible that would allow you to replace the entire moving assembly (voice-coil, spider, cone, surround, dust cap, gasket, lead wires) etc for some cost, it may even be possible to buy a new voice coil, it is worth investigating.

Yeah, maybe I'll try that. They said none are available, but maybe if I ask real real nice ;-)

It is not a speaker that I NEED. I use it in my amp diagnostic setup, so I figured it would blow eventually... I just didn't give any thought on what to do when it did eventually go.

This is a speaker I repaired a while ago with limited materials available. (obviously) A friend gave it to me because it was damaged. It was out of box sitting upright on a table and a 50lb box fell about 10ft and crushed it. There was no dust cover left and the coil was bent. I figured I had nothing to loose and disasembled it. Worst case, I had a great refrigerator magnet:rolleyes: I was able to fix the coil... there was some metel that exteded below the coil so I just removed it and coated the coil with super glue to strengthen it after solvent use. The screwes in the base reflex tilt the whole diaphram so the coil lines up because the frame was bent as well. Pretty cheap eh? I used a piece of a paper plate for a dust cap, stapled and epoxy down. Now that's really cheap. Ironicly it sounds pretty good. Covered up, you would never know.:D Besides, I always thought the Fosgate series 1 sounded good anyway.

Attachments

• sp1.jpg
    sp1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 105
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.