Replacing electrolytic caps in crossovers - what voltage rating to use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I am replacing the 17-year old electrolytic capacitors in the crossovers of my Infinity Kappa 7 speakers.

These capacitors are rated at 100V.

Will it be ok if I were to use 63V or 50V capacitors as their replacement?

I am thinking of using Elna Silmics as replacements. 100uF Solens are too big and too expensive for me right now.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Sorry to resurrect a thread from the mummies, but Google led me here... I have a pair of Infinity Q3 with dual voice coil Watkins. I am therefore thinking of replacing four 600uF caps that are connected in series with chokes and the woofer coils. I like to play loud, and I now have the Hypex nc500 amp from diyaudio user Boggit. It can peak at about half a kilowatt. These speakers can dip to 2 Ohms, as the voice coils are paralleled. I can see no voltage rating on the old caps. They are original (circa 1978).... What do I replace them with?

Amazing how people don't do simple homework.

Infinity Quantum Serie

I'd lose the 600uF in the Infinity QLS 3 altogether. They hardly do anything. Kappa 7 schematic follows.

Quite alarming 2 ohm impedance from the dual-voicecoil woofer. You wonder why separate filters were used on each voice-coil, which must sum to something simpler. Who designs this stuff? LOL

Attachments

• Infinity QLS 3 crossover.PNG
    Infinity QLS 3 crossover.PNG
    29.8 KB · Views: 217
  • Infinity Kappa 7.JPG
    Infinity Kappa 7.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect a thread from the mummies, but Google led me here... I have a pair of Infinity Q3 with dual voice coil Watkins. I am therefore thinking of replacing four 600uF caps that are connected in series with chokes and the woofer coils. I like to play loud, and I now have the Hypex nc500 amp from diyaudio user Boggit. It can peak at about half a kilowatt. These speakers can dip to 2 Ohms, as the voice coils are paralleled. I can see no voltage rating on the old caps. They are original (circa 1978).... What do I replace them with?
half a kilowatt into 4ohms is roughly 63Vpk. Allowing for a worst case output voltage peak of 70Vpk then I'd suggest the absolute lowest voltage bi-polar or non polar capacitor you can use is 80V. But I suspect you can more easily source 100V bi-polars, if you need them at all !

It's gotta be 100V Non-polars in a speaker that goes so loud.

I usually go by the power rails on the amp. A 20W pc amp has a +/- 30V power supply. Assuming you don't have high-Q resonant LCR circuits which multiply voltage.

A more powerful amp can output much higher voltages.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.