Center Channel Project finished after nearly a year of work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cant find my old thread, so I'll repost.

Like most of my projects, I seem to take way too much time trying to find the proper hardware or a method of doing something wacky. The time spent isn’t really indicative of the difficulty, just a product of my finicky attitude and desire to do things that no one else would do, plus I always do at least a few prototypes and spend some time listening before I proceed.

The fit and clearances along with the proper hardware for the gimble assy was probably the hardest part of the project, although I now have an even deeper appreciation of the difficulty in aligning grains and matching different pieces of wood together to give a homogenous look. Working with hard and soft woods mixed is another challenge that I find very frustrating at times, especially on a lathe. The full adjustment range exceeds 6 inches at the rear-articulating ball assy, which on second thought was probably the single most difficult to devise and construct. The adjustment can allow close to 30° of angle on the mid/woofer cabinets relative to the tweeter pod. Every part can be removed and broken down like a gun, each mid enclosure pivots on a spring loaded pin that fits into a receptacle and can be depressed for removing the enclosure from the gimble mounting ring once the top thumb screw is removed. Everything is solid Oak or painted MDF to match my mains. The tweeter pod is easily removable with a ¼ -20 bolt behind the faceplate.

The prototype has been up and running for months so I have tweaked the sound to satisfying results already, these little woofers will pack a whallop for their cone area, but a little overprices IMO. Next time a do a set of mains I will more closely consider the cost of the drivers, these nearly broke me.

Woofers- Scan-Speak 8530-K01S
Tweeter- Vifa XT-25 with custom faceplate.
Crossover- Marchand XM44-4 (2.6K 4th order)

Woofers are paralleled (2-way) and powered by the Halo A-52 and a separate channel to the Tweeter. The inside is stuffed with poly batting (4oz) and the inner walls are lined with the same tar slurry goop that I have been using for a while now, total weight for the speaker assembled (without stand) is about 55Lbs. This is about as baffle-less as you can get, which has been my goal for some time now so I think I can move on to other designs finally, OB will be next. Total cost is hard to calculate but I would guess about $750.

Pictures,
http://kingdaddy.linaeum.com/Center Channel/

Attachments

• home place small.jpg
    home place small.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 631
Very impressive work on the cabinets of the entire system.

How do you like the Marchand XM-44? I just received my 3-way kit and will be building it in the evenings on my next business trip.
I am also interested in your thoughts on the XT-25 tweets. I am considering them in my next project.

I have 3 different 3-way setups I am considering for my main speaker project.

1. Scan Speak 9700 or 9800 tweeter. Scan Speak 15W/8530K01 mid/woofer. Dual Scan Speak 8" 21W/8555-01 woofers.

2. Vifa XT-25 tweeter. Vifa PL-18wo09-08 mid/woofer. Single Dayton RSS265HF-4 10" Hi-Fidelity woofer.

3. LCY 110 or 130 ribbon tweeter. Seas Excel W18EX-001 mid/woofer. Dual Seas 8" W22EX-001 woofers or a single 10" W26FX-001 woofer.

I be will actively triamping with the Marchand XM-44 and (2)Pass Labs X-5's(10 channels of amplification).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.