Experience with Krell LAT-2?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I found this on my travels searching for a decent bookshelf design:

Attachments

• clone krell.gif
    clone krell.gif
    71.5 KB · Views: 968
Hey ShinOBIWAN,Thax for your reply, Yes that is the design i was looking at building. I already have the tweeter with a new custom made Aluminium faceplate. I was trying to decide between that design and also the one from Troels Gravesen site using XT25 and PL18W0.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/PL18XT.htm

They both work in the same box volume(24L) and also almost the same tuning (37Hz and 38Hz). Just not sure how well each design will work, especially the LAT clones as the drivers are over double the price(dont mind paying the extra so long as it will make a big difference in sound).

Any information on both designs would be extremely helpfull. They both seem to be really good designs but i am not sure which one is better overall.I dont have the components or mids for either one.Any suggestions would be really good.

Regards

Bowdown

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Personally I'd go with the Troels all Vifa 2-way. The Krell LAT-2 clone is quite obviously just a theoretical design. When I was first starting out a few years ago I tried building one of these speculative designs using Seas drivers and it measured quite badly at the XO point with a large -6dB dip. Clearly not much thought had been put into the design and I ended up redoing the entire XO myself.

Stick with proven and tested designs from the likes of Troels and Tony G and you'll be much happier in the long run.

The LAT-2 clone could be cracking but once stung twice shy as they say.

Gees you are quick, thanx for your information. I guess i will just stick with the original design. You guys know how it is you find a really good design and are happy with it then you decide to do a little more research and then you find something else and then something else....:xeye:. Oh its gets worse cause you the get confused. I guess thats what DIY is all about, research and developement. Well i think i should stop looking at different designs and stick with one!!

Thanx again for your really valuble info.

Regards

Bowdown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.