Active XO using PC soundcard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Depending on whether you have a supported card or not you could look at the kx drivers, more info in this thread ---> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41278&highlight=

I installed them for a while but couldn't get speaker workshop to work with them, so uninstalled and reinstalled the standard creative drivers. Worked nicely for testing the active crossover though :)

Tony.

if you have ASIO compatible card with several outputs, any VST host can principially solve your problem, all you need is pair of track equalizers, or any free VST EQ, there are few free, even with linear phase algorytms (slim slow slider eq, for example)
on the other hand, to play audio files with something like cubase is ehm... let's say less comfortable ;)

perhaps foobar player with some plugins can be good solution:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t34202.html

mazurek said:
Matlab is good at solving transfer functions, and can filter audio streams. It is only good for prototyping, but if you are at a university, they might have it available for free/cheap.
Matlab is a nice idea. I haven't worked with it for a long time...
Initially I was was thinking about something like CoolEdit but it can't do realtime filtering.

Sorry forgot to reply.

In matlab go to File->New->Model

In simulink go to View->Library Browser

In the library browser, the blocks you need are in

Signal Processing Blockset->Platform Specific I/O->Windows
Where you will find functions for loading sound from the mic/wav file, and outputting to the line out.

Use
Signal Processing->Fitering to do the transfer functions

I think this is how you would go about doing this, I don't have this computer hooked up to a sound card right now though.

I think the most recent version of SoundEasy has a realtime soundcard based filter emulator built in. You can suposedly design, optimize and test filters (passive and active!!) with your soundcard. This emulator (along with the very cool distortion analysis tools) is one of things that is making this budding speaker designer think that SoundEasy might make a very good christmass present (for myself of course ;) ).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.