Lowther Fidelio - anybody?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey

I´m thinking of building a pair of Lowther "Fidelio" horn speakers. Is there anybody out there who has any experience of this loudspeaker? How does it sound? Lowther of course says it sounds excellent...

If it doesn´t sound exceptionally good I will probably build a couple of Voigthorns instead, since they are much easier to build...

I´m asking everybody again:

is there anybody who has ever listened to a couple of Lowther Fidelio?

(acousta and similar designs are not really interesting since I want a direct radiating thing with crystal clear sound, not some kind of design with drivers radiating in different directions - with other words: no "fake surround")

Hi

I built Fidelios some years ago and still use them. They are equipped with Lowther PM6A with Alnico magnets. The boxes are not that difficult to build if you can get the material pre-cut, I used Mahogny, (Luan) Plywood.

I choosed the Fidelio after listening to several Lowther speakers and I think Fidelio is a good compromise with reasonable space requirements, in my view there are no other Lowther speaker with similar size that gives better sound. If I build new Lowthers it will probably be Audiovectors as I think the improvement is not worth it with other designs. I have also influenced some friends here in Tokyo to also build Fidelios after listening to mine.

I use my own designed tube OTL amp to drive the lowthers with very good results.

My Fidelios can be seen here: http://www2.gol.com/users/tube/hornspeakers.html

Regards Hans

Hello BigSwede,

I am sorry, that I missed your post as I was busy designing and building my dedicated amp for Quad ESL57.

I was distributor for Lowther until the dawn of the millennium. So I have a little practical experience with them. Mind you, I am still a Lowther enthusiast.

Yes, I have listened at length to Academy, Acousta, Alfredo Horn, Bicor 200, Mau Horn-TypeIV, Oris Horn and TP1. I understand that Audiovector as Hans says, is the finest cabinet for Lowther drivers. However, the Audiovector and TP1 are rather large cabinets and quite complex to build.

All front horn loaded cabinets add colouration to varying degrees but are more dynamic than back wave loaded horns. My preference is for back wave loaded horns. My favourite cabinet is the Alfredo Horn designed by our club member Alf Lepp. PM7C driver works well in this cabinet. My recommendation to you is to select a cabinet that has the horn opening to the front.

I hope that this is helpful.

Hans, how long have you used your OTL with Lowthers? I was always afraid to put out an OTL for Lowthers because of the systematic attention these amps require to maintain minimum DC. Is your amp capacitor coupled to the Lowther?

Mohan

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
FIDELIO

Hi,

There must be other people here using Lowthers surely.

The Fidelio never really struck me as a good design,I've heard cabinets for various Lowthers that were much better balanced.

My advise would be to get in touch with the various Lowther Clubs all over the world (most countries have at least one) and listen to what they have to say.

Hans, how long have you used your OTL with Lowthers? I was always afraid to put out an OTL for Lowthers because of the systematic attention these amps require to maintain minimum DC. Is your amp capacitor coupled to the Lowther?

An OTL on a Lowther?

Seems like burning power to me...I'm curious about this set up.

Cheers, ;)

Hi

I have used my OTL now for about 3 years without any adjustment necessary at all. I usually check bias and DC on the output every 3 months, (I used to do it more often but as it doesn't change I decided it was not needed). I know why adjustment is often necessary in many commercial OTL amps but I never understood why users accept something like that.

Horn loaded Lowthers is an ideal load for an OTL amp as the efficiency of the lowther means that the OTL have a very easy life, also the impedance curve on the lowther is much nicer then many multi element speakers. My Lowther elements is 8 ohm version.

I have listen to many different Lowther equipped speakers, (one of many good things of living in Tokyo is that there is wast offering of high-end equipment) and for me I think the Fidelio is a good compromise, the sound is quite dry and true as it is less colored than in many of the larger horns.

Regards Hans

Hi Big Swede, I've been using some Fidelios for the last 8 years with DX3 drivers to start with which have been upgraded to EX3 drivers 3 years ago. The cabinets were built out of birch multi-ply. I find the Fidelios communicate small-scale musical performance particularly well, delivering an intimate and quite tangible sound stage. If you're looking for large-scale, deep bass type music, go elsewhere! I use the Fidelios with a 9W 300B SET amplifier and vinyl front end. Hope this is of help to you!

Yes, Fidelios are a good compromise. My personal favourite is the ALFREDO Horn designed by one of my friends ALF LEPP. It is a backwave loaded Tractirix horn about the same height and width as the Fidelio but about 70cm deep. Mouth opens to the front. I prefer this to the Fidelio and Academy. It is less coloured than the Mau Horn Type IV. Sound stage is larger than the Fidelio and Academy but smaller than the TP-!. I have tried 6A, 6C, 7A, 7C, DX3, 2A, 2C and 5A in this cabinet. Optimum driver is the PM7C, white paper cone.

This is and has been the norm at our Club Meetings over the past 8+ years.

Regards,
Mohan

Fidelios with 15 Ohm DX2

I use my pair for a couple of years now and I do not think I will change to something else w/o a VERY good reason.
My amps are due to be replaced (solid state, not the best match), then the preamp, and then somewhere in the future I may consider another horns (smth. like Heldlund, probably down- or backfiring) and/or alnico Lowther drivers, but I will not willingly part from my Fidelios.

Alfredo Horn

Hi Mohan, I have couple of PM7C's that are left over from another project years ago, I would love to make exactly what you have and showcase it in my lounge back in London, England :)

Please could you tell me the best way to go about such a task, does Alf Lepp have a website, or can you help me ??

many thanks - Peter

Mohan Varkey said:
Yes, Fidelios are a good compromise. My personal favourite is the ALFREDO Horn designed by one of my friends ALF LEPP. It is a backwave loaded Tractirix horn about the same height and width as the Fidelio but about 70cm deep. Mouth opens to the front. I prefer this to the Fidelio and Academy. It is less coloured than the Mau Horn Type IV. Sound stage is larger than the Fidelio and Academy but smaller than the TP-!. I have tried 6A, 6C, 7A, 7C, DX3, 2A, 2C and 5A in this cabinet. Optimum driver is the PM7C, white paper cone.

This is and has been the norm at our Club Meetings over the past 8+ years.

Regards,
Mohan

I guess this is a little late now, but I've had a pair of the Fidelio's big sisters (Delphics) for about 15 years.

They sound ok, but need a largish room and some care in positioning to get the best out of them.

Given the complexity of cabinet construction and the room requirements, I would recommend one of MJK's open baffle projects as a more satisfactory alternative. The combo of PM2 + 2*15" Eminences works outstandingly well IMHO. For a more acceptably sized option, Martin's new Fostex OB is currently giving me lots of pleasure...

Lowther speakers EX 3 in Fidelio horn boxes

Hello

I have finished Fidelio boxes EX3 drivers with thirty hours of use, ie in the labor
condition (as recommended by the Lowther).
The sound is full of fine detail and perfect for tube amps. My performance by strictly
followed Lowther designs with 8 Ohm drivers so that the classic amplifiers
come to the fore.

Drago,
bubasan6969@gmail.com

Attachments

• 1_resize.jpg
    1_resize.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 2_resize.jpg
    2_resize.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 3_resize.jpg
    3_resize.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 246
  • 4_resize.jpg
    4_resize.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 6_resize.jpg
    6_resize.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 283
  • 8_resize.jpg
    8_resize.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 9_resize.jpg
    9_resize.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 10_resize.jpg
    10_resize.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 11_resize.jpg
    11_resize.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 88
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.