Lowther Fidelio - anybody? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2003, 10:19 PM   #11
diyAudio Senior Member

Default FIDELIO

Hi,

There must be other people here using Lowthers surely.

The Fidelio never really struck me as a good design,I've heard cabinets for various Lowthers that were much better balanced.

My advise would be to get in touch with the various Lowther Clubs all over the world (most countries have at least one) and listen to what they have to say.

Quote:
Hans, how long have you used your OTL with Lowthers? I was always afraid to put out an OTL for Lowthers because of the systematic attention these amps require to maintain minimum DC. Is your amp capacitor coupled to the Lowther?
An OTL on a Lowther?

Seems like burning power to me...I'm curious about this set up.

Cheers,
Old 10th January 2003, 11:11 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi

I have used my OTL now for about 3 years without any adjustment necessary at all. I usually check bias and DC on the output every 3 months, (I used to do it more often but as it doesn't change I decided it was not needed). I know why adjustment is often necessary in many commercial OTL amps but I never understood why users accept something like that.

Horn loaded Lowthers is an ideal load for an OTL amp as the efficiency of the lowther means that the OTL have a very easy life, also the impedance curve on the lowther is much nicer then many multi element speakers. My Lowther elements is 8 ohm version.

I have listen to many different Lowther equipped speakers, (one of many good things of living in Tokyo is that there is wast offering of high-end equipment) and for me I think the Fidelio is a good compromise, the sound is quite dry and true as it is less colored than in many of the larger horns.

Regards Hans
Old 14th March 2007, 09:01 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi Big Swede, I've been using some Fidelios for the last 8 years with DX3 drivers to start with which have been upgraded to EX3 drivers 3 years ago. The cabinets were built out of birch multi-ply. I find the Fidelios communicate small-scale musical performance particularly well, delivering an intimate and quite tangible sound stage. If you're looking for large-scale, deep bass type music, go elsewhere! I use the Fidelios with a 9W 300B SET amplifier and vinyl front end. Hope this is of help to you!
Old 9th April 2007, 11:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Yes, Fidelios are a good compromise. My personal favourite is the ALFREDO Horn designed by one of my friends ALF LEPP. It is a backwave loaded Tractirix horn about the same height and width as the Fidelio but about 70cm deep. Mouth opens to the front. I prefer this to the Fidelio and Academy. It is less coloured than the Mau Horn Type IV. Sound stage is larger than the Fidelio and Academy but smaller than the TP-!. I have tried 6A, 6C, 7A, 7C, DX3, 2A, 2C and 5A in this cabinet. Optimum driver is the PM7C, white paper cone.

This is and has been the norm at our Club Meetings over the past 8+ years.

Regards,
Mohan
Old 30th July 2007, 09:23 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Fidelios with 15 Ohm DX2

I use my pair for a couple of years now and I do not think I will change to something else w/o a VERY good reason.
My amps are due to be replaced (solid state, not the best match), then the preamp, and then somewhere in the future I may consider another horns (smth. like Heldlund, probably down- or backfiring) and/or alnico Lowther drivers, but I will not willingly part from my Fidelios.
Old 5th January 2008, 04:52 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Alfredo Horn

Hi Mohan, I have couple of PM7C's that are left over from another project years ago, I would love to make exactly what you have and showcase it in my lounge back in London, England :-)

Please could you tell me the best way to go about such a task, does Alf Lepp have a website, or can you help me ??

many thanks - Peter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mohan Varkey
Yes, Fidelios are a good compromise. My personal favourite is the ALFREDO Horn designed by one of my friends ALF LEPP. It is a backwave loaded Tractirix horn about the same height and width as the Fidelio but about 70cm deep. Mouth opens to the front. I prefer this to the Fidelio and Academy. It is less coloured than the Mau Horn Type IV. Sound stage is larger than the Fidelio and Academy but smaller than the TP-!. I have tried 6A, 6C, 7A, 7C, DX3, 2A, 2C and 5A in this cabinet. Optimum driver is the PM7C, white paper cone.

This is and has been the norm at our Club Meetings over the past 8+ years.

Regards,
Mohan
Old 6th February 2008, 05:55 PM   #17
hifido is offline hifido  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default alfredo horn

Hi.
Does anyone know were I can find a drawing (plan) for the Alfredo horn speaker

Thanks.
Old 7th February 2008, 10:13 AM   #18
marec is offline marec  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I guess this is a little late now, but I've had a pair of the Fidelio's big sisters (Delphics) for about 15 years.

They sound ok, but need a largish room and some care in positioning to get the best out of them.

Given the complexity of cabinet construction and the room requirements, I would recommend one of MJK's open baffle projects as a more satisfactory alternative. The combo of PM2 + 2*15" Eminences works outstandingly well IMHO. For a more acceptably sized option, Martin's new Fostex OB is currently giving me lots of pleasure...

Hide this!Advertise here!