Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2005, 08:04 AM   #1
jon2518 is offline jon2518  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Thor DIY TL speakers

Like Brian I am considering building a set of Thor TL's, and since I have not heard a pair I am totally taking them on reputation. I currently run a custom made (by me) pair of three way actives, each using a couple of of Vifa 6.5 woofers, a Jaycar dome midrange and a vifa aluminium tweeter. Since my son is now of an age where he lives separate to me, I plan to donate my current speakers, and make myself something again. As I want truly excellent sound, (don't we all), and dont want to go backwards in quality, does anybody have an opinion about how the Thors sound compared to some of the other very upmarket speakers around, given that they use extremely good quality drivers, but that despite employing three drivers, are still two-way?
Old 9th December 2005, 04:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have owned/made several Vifa based diy loudspeakers and have listened to the Thor recently. In comparison Thor delivers more clarity and refinement than the Vifa speakers I know. They also have an amazing soundstage. However the Thor can easily sound too bright when not matched with the right components. I heard them on an NAD pre/power amp combination and this sounded very natural(to my ears). Would love to hear them with a valve amp. Another thing is bass. It has very good bass extension and detail but does not really deliver a punch. At least not compared to a system with a decent sized woofer. Perfect for jazz, vocals and classic.

Hide this!Advertise here!