Pr170m0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PR170M0

pinkmouse, thank you for your reply......i am still trying to decide on which midrange driver to base my new speaker on....i had thought of using the audax hm100z2 but from the posts that i have read on various boards the areogel drivers tend to have a nasty highend....from a previous reply i see you use the audax hm100z....did you have a hard time integrating it into your system?....also how is your gainclone amp coming along?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Ray

One channel of the gainclone is up and working, and sounding good, but I need to tweak the pcb layout and components before the final version gets built:)

As I have said before, I think most peoples' problems with the HDA drivers are caused by using them in an inappropriate enclosure, as reflection from the rear of the box really is obvious and nasty with the light HDA cones.

I use a second order crossover to roll off to the tweeter at 5.2kHz, and roll the bottom off at about 900, again second order. This leads to my only fault with my current system, ( apart from it not being a TL!!), the PR240 gets a little directional at this high crosover point, and the HM100 is a little ragged below about 1K, maybe a little filtering is in order when I go active...

--i am still trying to decide on which midrange driver to base my
--new speaker on

The PR170M0 was on top of my list for my crazy project,
the high sensitivity is sweet, the price is 1/2 of the other
drivers, and most important the sonics are really good.

I compared this driver to;

PHL1120
PHL1660
PHL 2520 (8 inch)
Focal 7K2
Focal 6WM

The PR sounds very similar to the PHL 1120, but the
1120 has more x-max and higher power handling. Unless
you plan to feed the PR midrange with >400w, I would
use the PHL instead. All the drivers listed above
sound great, but I don't really like the 6WM at all.
I chose the 2520 only because it mates well with
my 103db sensitivity ribbon. Unless you plan to pad
the midrange down, look for a high sensitivity tweeter
to match with it - hehe

If money was no object, I would suggest Lambda TD
series of woofers for a nice 3 way design. These woofers
are sonically sweet full range while delivery excellent bass,
so if you crossed the woofers at low pass 300hz (give or
take) to match your midrange, it would have no problems
sonically.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.