Good Inductor Source?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Use an iron or laminate core inductor that is rated for the power you plan to use. It will work fine. Using an iron core is not a compromise...

If you want a ballpark number for cost to DIY, factor around 6-8 dollars a pound. You'll see why no manufacturer I know of would use an air core in this application.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
bjackson said:
Both of those links are 16 gauge.

Further down the Janzen page they have the 12ga copper foil. Still expensive though.

bjackson said:
Anyone have any thoughts about iron core in the low pass at around 200hz? I ask because I know nothing about "hysterisis", but don't want to make a mistake.

I think we have all used iron cores for the larger values at one time or another but there always seems to be someone who says it spells the end of the speaker world as we know it. I'm not sure you can tell the difference if it's 200Hz and below so I say go for it. Uh oh, watch the flamers burn me bad. ;)

I think regardless whether you use iron core or air core, it is good to have at least a 14# for over 100W, and at least 16# for lower wattages.

If you want 200, you can negotiate a better price which most suppliers are willing to give pretty good discounts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.