Barybass From Philips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Playing with my equalizer again and checking out the 60, 120, & 240 hz regions I came up with this using high Qts drivers.
2 - 15" Green Line boosted 6 db - 230 Litre box
1 - 10" White Line boosted 3 db - 13 Litre box
2 - 5" Yellow Line boosted 6 db - 3 Litre box

Seems boosting the 120 hz region affects the male & female voice.
It's really the 3rd harmonic that adds the kick to the 60 hz region.

BaryBasswithdrivers1.jpg

“But the bass note takes some time to gain strength,”

Right, the nature of resonance is that it takes several cycles to accumulate energy to reach max amplitude. At that point damping, which tends increases with velocity, becomes strong enough to dissipate the same amount of energy per cycle as comes from the input excitation, and steady state amplitude is reached.

I’ve always wondered why this energy accumulation time doesn’t make for a greater audible difference between sealed and vented systems.

Re group delay, it’s not the same as the aforementioned “pumping up” time; it’s specified for steady state signals.

It looks to me that there are two essential “tricks” to the Barrybass.

First is the DSP to transfer fundamentals to the resonant freq (did anyoneone see what it is?), then it’s the use of the harmonics to fool us into hearing it as different pitches.

RJ::::is elf worth building?is the bass really tight and loud from a small enclosure?

Listened all day today on the 15" 60 hz peaked sealed box. One of the mtm's didn't phase correctly with the woofer so I swapped out that MTM with another design I had and it phased correctly.
Playing "Emily Lou Harris - Deeper Well" was a sonic treat.
The synth, drums and bass guitar were all in synch.
One way I can tell when they're not in synch or phased correctly is when the bass guitar and bass drum are not seperate tones and come out as one drone note. Yes, the bass was nice and tight and slammed you in the chest. It's really become a fun project!!! :)

It's a fancy way of saying it will change the actual freq to the resonant freq of the BB.

It wouldn't sound good if all freq were changed to a single freq, so I'm guessing that ranges of 1/4 to 1/2 octave of the music are all mapped to a range which has the resonant freq at its center.

well mapping the freq on a single freq means making the freqs behave according to the base freq on which others are being mapped.

suppose all freq of bases r being mapped to 60hz resonant freq.
so the bases will b made to behav jus like 60hz freq behaves.i supose u getting me!

now how to do this is a mystery.which electronic circuit to use?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Thank you, Noah.

This does not sound like a particularly good idea, except in certain unique applications.

Now if somebody can figure out a way to change the Fs or Fc of a speaker instantaneously to match the note the music calls for, instead of changing the note on the music to match the Fc of the speaker, we might have something.

I know that in dual voice coil woofers, the Qts can be changed by means of a resistor in one of the coils. I would suppose that that the change could probably be made electronically as well, and if it is, then the Qts could be made to change to match the music.

However, whether the Fc of a woofer can be changed the same way, I would not know.

Joined 2001
sagarverma said:
well mapping the freq on a single freq means making the freqs behave according to the base freq on which others are being mapped.

suppose all freq of bases r being mapped to 60hz resonant freq.
so the bases will b made to behav jus like 60hz freq behaves.i supose u getting me!

Sagarverma, I don't want to seem dense, but I am not getting you. I am sure it is my fault, not yours. I am a self taught hobbyist, and have taken no electronics courses at all. I am thoroughly familiar with Thiele-Small theory, however.

This particular system/enclosure is optimized to be most efficient at 60 Hz. Any other bass frequency, it will play less efficiently. In order for this system to play any frequency other 60 Hz most efficiently, you have to change the Fs of the speaker, the Vas of the speaker, or the volume of the box.

Is such a thing possible?

As stated above, a dual voice coil woofer can have it's Qts, (and presumablly it's Qtc) changed electronically. Does anyone know how to change the Vas or Fs of the speaker electronically?

This particular system/enclosure is optimized to be most efficient at 60 Hz. Any other bass frequency, it will play less efficiently. In order for this system to play any frequency other 60 Hz most efficiently, you have to change the Fs of the speaker, the Vas of the speaker, or the volume of the box.

i suppose this is what barybass doing.without changing box parameters(read their press release which talks bout possibility of wierd shaped boxes) like volume or speaker varibles, they have made an electronic ckt optimised for a particular woofer and box combination,which simulates all these changes.

which circuit??????:confused:

I am thoroughly familiar with Thiele-Small theory,
i m not.:)

I heard this thing last year on a philips fair.

It sounds just like you think it would. Nothing much special. Most people are amazed by the "rich" sound of such a small device. Only interesting for car and flat tv applications, and yes that's a big market.

They were also demonstrating it with "disco" music, seems to be the strong point of this system. I haven't heard "real" music thrue is, still a bit curious how a contrabass would sound all mapped to 60Hz :D, but the fact that they don't dare to play stuff like that says enough for me.

Funny detail: this unit has a light weight moving magnet and a fixed coil.

Greetings, Geert

Joined 2001
Noah:

Somehow, I missed qi's post reading this thread the first time. Upon rereading the thread, I realize that both his post and yours explained the thing.

The system has a very, very high Qtc woofer with a huge response peak at resonance, as all high Qtc systems do.

A filter converts all frequencies in the bass band to this single frequency, which is then played at high efficiency through the speaker.

Clearly, this is to be used for low fi systems where a one note thump in time with the absent bass notes is preferable to no bass at all.

"Clearly, this is to be used for low fi systems where a one note thump in time with the absent bass notes is preferable to no bass at all."

That probably sums it up pretty well.

But it probably sounds a bit better than that, in that it will be more consistent compared to hitting F at random.

Maybe they also boost the 2nd harmonic to help mask the one note character.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.