Want to build a HT System - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2005, 06:11 AM   #1
sharms is offline sharms  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Want to build a HT System

Hi All

I'm new to these parts and would like some good insight from the pro DIY's around here.

I'm tempted to build myself a really good Home Theater set up but I'm not sure on were to begin on looking for the right speakers. I would like to build a whole system. Mains, Center and surrounds (I have a sub). I'm good with wood and have all the tools to make the boxes but its finding the right speakers is were I'm stuck at.

It would be great if you guys could point me in the right direction and any other recommendations would be most appriecated.

Thanks
Steven
Old 16th November 2005, 06:48 AM   #2
Raoul is offline Raoul  United States
diyAudio Member

You can find a few here: http://madisound.com/kits.html www.partsexpress.com has some free plans as well.
Old 16th November 2005, 12:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

My advice, for what its worth, is aimed at making both DVDs and CDs sound great:

You don't need a centre if your mains are equally spaced about the screen (as they will be if you appreciate stereo).

Buy the surround speakers for now (they are low priority).

Concentrate on building yourself good main speakers that will go low with stereo material. Use your AV amp bass management to output only the LFE channel to your sub ( ie sub is for movies only.)

Build Bi-amped mains if you want to build amps and crossovers as well as speakers.
Old 16th November 2005, 01:17 PM   #4
Raoul is offline Raoul  United States
diyAudio Member

RAW Acoustics ( http://www.rawacoustics.com ) offers a few kits and is located in Surrey. Maybe you could see if they have any assembled demo kits. Also, Creative Sound Solutions ( http://creativesound.ca/ ) is located in Abbotsford, and offers kits as well. Both vendors seem to be pretty well regarded around here. I don't know what else you guys have in Canada, but avoiding import shipping charges and long shipping time might save you some hassle.
Old 16th November 2005, 04:05 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If this is for HT alone, no music, then you are better off using all the same speaker. If this is to be used for music as well then Jimbo is right in that you want better mains than your surrounds.

I like Raouls sugestion of talikg to RAW and or CSS. They both good people.

Cal

Hide this!Advertise here!