What is hi end tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I am a newbie for this forum,i would like to design a hi-end tweeter,but i don't know which is the best or standard SPL curve for it,i know many brand (scan speaker,vifa,focal,jbl,...)are sound great but they have different SPL curves,do you think which one is the perfect curve?and please give you advice for it.
Thanks.

Difficult question denbo123. To answer your question, don't believe in specs. Graphs do not indicate sound quality, they are just a guideline. You need to know how they made the response curves to understand how they will actually work.

Did they use a large baffle and what size baffle, did they use a sealed box, how many points did they use, the list goes on and on. They don't always say how they tested the components so be carefull how you interpret the marketing departments claims.

I just go out to high end shops and trade shows, listen and try to identify which products are going to work for me. Then I go to their specs to proceed.

Good luck.

Thanks for B4 and Vikash,I know they will sound close if two tweeter have the same SPL curves on the same test conditions, I beleive the speaker test system is very useful for design and analysis.if two speaker sound different , its curve would be different too.
I use LspCAD and SpeakerLab to measure the driver,the result is different when use different baffleplate,so I need some sample for compare. but I don't know which brand and model is sounds great for most people. I want to know the typic model that is be good evaluate,and how feeling they sounds?
Regards.

Speaker response curves say very little how good or bad a unit will ultimately sound. Remember most curves are taken on-axis, so a single curve will not tell you the dispersion characteristics of a unit. It also won't tell you if the driver has a tendency to break-up when driven hard, nor will it tell you how nicely it performs as it approaches resonance. A lot of it really is how well the crossover network is implemented to "Tame" the driver, how well it matches and integrates with the rest of the drivers in the system, as well as the box dimensions.

Personally, I think its very hard to tell (unless you have a lot of experience) what a complete loudspeaker system will sound like by simply looking at the frequency response. Two identical units (i.e. left and right units) will, in fact, have differences in their response curves!

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.