Beginner DIYer, need advice!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all-

I am looking to start some DIY speaker and subwoofer projects. I have recently gotten into speaker designing and DIY projects. I have not had any experience at all, but I am a very fast learner and I am very curious about learning how to do this.

If anyone has some good resources that I can check out I would love for you to drop me a PM. I have been reading this forum as well as the DIY corner over at AVS Forum and I have some idea of what is needed, but any other information for me would be great. Hope to hear from everyone soon.

-Kyle

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Have you put thought into what you want? ie: driver size, box size etal.
Are these for you?
What kind of music do you listen to?
How big is the room?
How far awy from the speaker will you sit?
Active or passive woofer?
Active or passive XO on the mains?
Do you have amp(s)?

Please tell us more about what you want so that we may be of assistance to you.

Cal

Here are some answers to the questions you asked.

Have you put thought into what you want?
I would like to start out with a center channel speaker and then build some 3-way mains to put in my office. I really like the Audax center, but I think it is too tall (I have asked around and I guess I could modify the height as long as I keep the inside volume the same). My room is 13 X 15 X 8 and I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver.

Are these for you?
Yes, the first speakers I build will definately be for me and maybe later on when I get more experienced I can start building some for my friends.

What kind of music do you listen to?
I listen to a lot of classical and jazz, and pretty much anything else except country. I even listen to a little rap when I want to get the bass bumpin'.

How big is the room? 13 X 15 X 8

How far awy from the speaker will you sit? Speaker distance is about 11 - 12 ft.

Active or passive woofer? If I built a stand alone sub (which I am interested in doing) I would want it to be active obviously. For my first set of mains and the center I would like to make I will go with a passive woofer to make the project more budjet friendly and easier.

Active or passive XO on the mains? I am very new to the crossover thing, so I do not know what you mean by this (sorry I am really a complete newb). I do understand the concept of crossovers, but I have yet to find a really good article that describes the electrical aspect of crossover design very well. Once I can find some good reading material XO design should not be a problem since I am fairly smart when it comes to physics and other math and science stuff (I am in medical school after all).

Do you have amp(s)? I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver. I have looked at some of the forums on DIY amps and again I am very curious about those too. So maybe one day I will also make my own amp, who knows.

Hope these answers help. Thank you for the reply and the good questions. Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi Kyle, welcome to DIYaudio. I used to live Broken Arrow, OK.

As for your first request about resources, try some books from the library. Public libraries usually have more loudspeaker design books than universities. Some authors to look for are David Weems, John Murphy, Joe D'appolito, and Vance Dickason. Vance's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook is highly recommended. Also check out the projects here or in the DIY wiki here.

The best bet for the first project is to copy a proven design. You will still learn a lot and it will build your confidence for future designs.

I would like to start out with a center channel speaker and then build some 3-way mains to put in my office. I really like the Audax center, but I think it is too tall (I have asked around and I guess I could modify the height as long as I keep the inside volume the same). My room is 13 X 15 X 8 and I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver.

You cant change the baffle size without changing the crossover.

I recommend you read this thread: http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=11321

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.