Seas 27TDFC H1189 vs Seas 27TFFC H881

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I'm exactly in the same situation!

I have a 2-way speaker and I own two older Vifa tweeters, D26TG-35 and D26TG-46 (with rear chamber, nearly identitcal, just slightly different cone materials).
I'm curious to try one of those Seas tweeters instead, but can't decide which one!

Can anybody tell which are the audible differences between those two tweeters?

Thanks a lot!
Martin

They are both good tweeters but I prefer the 27TFFC as seems to have more air and more natural than the 27TDFC. For higher power applications the 27TDFC would be better as it's more robust. In the end it's all about personal preferences.

Troel's has a note about them in this build.
Poor Man'

I haven't used those Vifas but have used the D27TG-35-06 and the SEAS are better but I'm not sure if enough to warrant a change. Also the crossover would have to be reworked which can make or break the sonics.

Thank you Rabbitz,

that's interensting! Perhaps I should go for the H881 then. But I also think these old Vifa tweeters aren't that bad. It'll be an interesting comparison. The crossover is in revision already, but I think it will be nothing else than a single 4,7uF cap of finest quality. Despite all drawbacks I just can't get happy with more than a single cap. With steeper filters the sound always becomes a tad more "correct", but also more artificial and "Hifi-like", if you know what I mean.

Regards!
Martin

They are both good tweeters but I prefer the 27TFFC as seems to have more air and more natural than the 27TDFC. For higher power applications the 27TDFC would be better as it's more robust. In the end it's all about personal preferences.

Troel's has a note about them in this build.
Poor Man'

I haven't used those Vifas but have used the D27TG-35-06 and the SEAS are better but I'm not sure if enough to warrant a change. Also the crossover would have to be reworked which can make or break the sonics.

I made a speaker some time ago, I bought Scan Speak d2900, Vifa D27TG-35-06 and Vifa D25AG-05-06 which was the best sound for my taste, it was aluminum.
The D27TG-35-06 was opaque roll of after 10 khz I didn't like it
The Scan Speak D2900 was almost perfect but it lacked the air at around 12 khz the D25AG gave
So now after Vifa is closed I am looking for a replacement of the excellent D25AG-05-06 and I am looking at the Seas 27TFFC or 27TDFC as the best I have heard was the Dynaudio T330 Esotar but it was too expensive

I am looking for a replacement of the excellent D25AG-05-06 and I am looking at the Seas 27TFFC or 27TDFC as the best I have heard was the Dynaudio T330 Esotar but it was too expensive
If you liked the Vifa alu dome, then maybe worth considering the Seas DXT tweeter. Maybe a passive filter need more effort, but it's worth it IMO.
Another very good alu dome is the SB26ADC, you can't get better for that price if the sensitivity is enough for you, 3D printable waveguide is available too.
Personally I don't really liked my 27TFFC, compared to hard diaphragm tweeters.

Last edited:
The G25FFL looks more like the cheaper modells from Seas 27 series fabric dome tweeters (without rear chamber) than a Dynaudio Esotar. The Visaton don't have rear chamber and the half-sphere dome shape like the Dynaudios and that's only the visible things. I bet the inside is even more different.

Some Morel tweeters are more similar to the Dynaudios, but I don't know their sound.

I have both the 27tbfc/g and 27tfdc/g (SEAS did a limited version of the fabric dome with a grille) and 27tdfc.

The B (metal) version definitely has more air / sparkle in the 10KHz+ range (of course my hearing is limited beyond 15KHz or probably lower these days).

I found the D (fabric) easier to listen to however, even allowing for the 0.5dB sensitivity difference. I wonder whether the 26KHz breakup of the B has influence further down.

I am actually looking at the SBA SB26ADC, which has superior distortion measurements to either of the SEAS units and good x-max too.

The SB26ADC might be a better waveguide option as I believe the faceplate dettaches to leave the dome assembly providing a closer throat / membrane fit on a waveguide.

The SEAS 27tXfc tweeters do not have a separately dettachable faceplate. the dome / voicecoil and leads are attached to it. Remove the faceplate and all you are left with is the motor.

I am also thinking of the Seas 27TDFC. Does somebody has listening and crossover experiences with that? Thanks.

I used the 27TDFC mated to a Visaton WG-148 wave guide. The 27TDFC faceplate is flat and if you enlarge the 27TDFC screw holes by 2-3 mm they will line up with Visaton mounting holes. I then lined the Visaton tweeter hole with thin (1/16”) speaker gasket to seal any potential leaks. That’s all it took to mount the 27TDFC.

I originally used LR4 at 2 KHZ for the crossover, but ended up at 2.5 KHz LR4. The tweeter just sounded better to me at 2.5 KHz. It worked out fine, but if you don’t want to go with a wave guide I would consider the SB26ADC or SB26CDC. YMMV.

Last edited:
Ernperkins, can you describe the sound of the 27TDFC?

It's really a personal thing. In another wave guide thread some like the 27TDFC, some the DX25 and others the XT25. I find that a well designed crossover is very important.

Also possible to use second order filter, only a cap+coil at 3-3,5Khz?
Thank you.

I couldn't say until I saw measured tweeter and woofer responses in your cabinet along with the measured acoustic offset. Those will tell you what will and won't work. Trying to decide crossover slopes and frequencies before that is a very common mistake.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.