Need impressions of capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all... I tried to use the search function for the information I seek but it wasn't much help. I'm probably opening a can of worms by asking about something so subjective... but here it goes.

I am upgrading the components in a pair of speakers. The value I need is 2.5uF, and as you can imagine, that is a difficult value to find. In the interest of being cheap, I tried some 2.5uF Solens from Madisound and I can't say I like them much. They are very forward sounding to me, and have an exagerrated "nasal" sound. I have heard that Solens can sometimes do this in certain applications, and apparently my application is one of them. :(

Since I am not interested in reengineering the speaker, I need to find a 2.5uF cap that has a more relaxed presence while maintaining good "air" and high end detail.

I've noticed that Parts Express sells a 2.5uF Kimber, for a fair bit more money than the Solen cost. If anyone else has experienced this forwardness with the Solen, can you tell me if the Kimber is any better/worse? Even if you have not experienced the forwardness, how would you compare the sound of the Solen and the Kimber?

I've also noticed that I can get a 2.4uF Sonicap, and I've heard a number of good things about them. They have been described as being very "neutral" and "clean", but I have otherwise never heard of them. Has anyone tried them and how would you compare their sound to the Kimber and Solen?

On an unrelated note, I have an application that requires a 0.47uF cap. I happen to have a number of 0.47uF Vitamin Qs and was wondering if anyone has any impressions of them in crossover duty?

Thanks for any help. This forum is boss. :)

Oh and if you believe there is no audible difference between capacitors, don't bother posting in this thread. :D

JFETglare said:
Hello all... I tried to use the search function for the information I seek but it wasn't much help. I'm probably opening a can of worms by asking about something so subjective... but here it goes.

I am upgrading the components in a pair of speakers. The value I need is 2.5uF, and as you can imagine, that is a difficult value to find. In the interest of being cheap, I tried some 2.5uF Solens from Madisound and I can't say I like them much. They are very forward sounding to me, and have an exagerrated "nasal" sound. I have heard that Solens can sometimes do this in certain applications, and apparently my application is one of them. :(

Since I am not interested in reengineering the speaker, I need to find a 2.5uF cap that has a more relaxed presence while maintaining good "air" and high end detail.

I've noticed that Parts Express sells a 2.5uF Kimber, for a fair bit more money than the Solen cost.....

I've also noticed that I can get a 2.4uF Sonicap, and I've heard a number of good things about them.....

On an unrelated note, I have an application that requires a 0.47uF cap. I happen to have a number of 0.47uF Vitamin Qs and was wondering if anyone has any impressions of them in crossover duty?

Thanks for any help. This forum is boss. :)

Oh and if you believe there is no audible difference between capacitors, don't bother posting in this thread. :D

Hi

1) Audible difference, that´s the point. It depends on your electronic gear and drivers to detect any capacitor improvement.

2) Sonicap 2.4uF goes fine to replace 2.5uF Solen and to save money that would be my only atempt.

3) A too revealing speaker can become anoying in the long time listening section. You start to listen to the speaker not the music.

4) There´s no free lunch. You have to pay and try

Sorry for double post and poor english. Hope this helps

JC

I tried Solen and Kimber some years ago. The Kimber was only marginally better. I prefer Ansar to either of the above but only slightly. All of these sound shrill and nasal to me when compared with paper-in-oil types such as those from Audio Note and Jensen, these are a breath of fresh air when used in the treble section of a cross-over.

Tim.

I am currently using Sonic Craft and various RelCap capacitors. I get the Rel Caps from Michael Percy; I've dealt with him for a "few" years, and he has an excellent stock and his advice is good.

As a general rule, I order capacitors: Mylars, Metallized Polypropylenes, Polyprop/aluminum foil, polyprop/tin foil, and polystyrene/tin foil. I prefer the multi-tabbed versions to the single termination caps.

Until the current project, with better drivers than I've ever had before, I liked the Solens, but now find them a bit harsh.

Comparisons can be tedious, as it takes quite a while for the caps to break in. Still, it must be done for any valid comparison.

Thanks for all the input so far.

That link is interesting and appears to be specific to speaker applications. From experience, I know that Solens tend to be a bit nasty in certain line-level applications, and it seems their performance can be equally nasty in certain speaker applications as well.

I'm going to try the Sonicaps I think. They are cheaper than Kimbers, and I really don't see too many people jumping on the opportunity to use Kimbers--and that says a lot also. I have a friend that used Kimbers in two pairs of speakers, and both can be a bit strident... so perhaps they really aren't much of an improvement over a Solen.

Any final advice?

Some of the Sonicaps are directional; those with one gray and one white lead. (Check with the owner, he's nice and helpful.) I have no idea how a cap can be directional, but they clearly are. We used Zens?? Crescendoes?? in the midrange, and were not very happy with the colorations of either type; to over simplify, a bit bright or a bit dull. BUT antiparalleling got the colorations to cancel, and the result seemed quite neutral. The 100 uF mid highpass cap is made of 5 X 10 uF in each direction, and is very satisfactory. And the pile of white logs will be the first on your block to amaze your friends.

Capacitors in crossovers

Based on a lot of listening tests there seems to be a most unfortunate relationship between film capacitor price and sound quality.

The unfortunate part is that the more they cost, the better they sound.

For (passive) crossover applications we found:
1. Foil is always superior to metallized.
2. Tin is better than aluminum (can't afford either copper or silver foil so who knows?).
3. Dielectric, worst to best (IMHO) Mylar or polyester, polystyrene, polypropylene, Teflon. (very close call between the polyprop and the polystyrene)
4. Multitab construction is superior.
5. Small values paralleled sound better.
6. Higher voltage ratings sound better.

If you are one who has heard no difference between various interconnect cables, don't bother with capacitors, the differences are quite similar to cable variations

Re: Capacitors in crossovers

hermanv said:
Based on a lot of listening tests there seems to be a most unfortunate relationship between film capacitor price and sound quality.

The unfortunate part is that the more they cost, the better they sound.

2. Tin is better than aluminum (can't afford either copper or silver foil so who knows?).
3. Dielectric, worst to best (IMHO) Mylar or polyester, polystyrene, polypropylene, Teflon. (very close call between the polyprop and the polystyrene)

If you are one who has heard no difference between various interconnect cables, don't bother with capacitors, the differences are quite similar to cable variations

How about oil caps such as Mudorf?

hermanv said:

Cyril Bateman's series of articles on capacitor distortion support each of Hermanv's findings except point 5 (to which Bateman does not speak). For those interested, I posted certain of Bateman's findings in another thread. Search "Bateman."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.