HT Speakers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2005, 03:02 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Grahamt's last comments: Don't have any measuring equipment. I had planned on taking the manufacturers word on driver spec for inclusion into the design equations.

wintermute (Tony): I'm currently going through Dickason's book now. I've also looked through some of Dr. Leach's projects from GA Tech. On LSDC, the MTM is interesting considering a number of sources and board member recommend commonality in the setup.

AJ: Thanks for your input. I'm also floating the idea of building the amp for the sub myself.

Vifa, Seas, Morel, Peerless, Audax, etc. which gives the most bang for the $$ and still end up with quality? Which line within a brand new should I stick with, and as far as matching drivers, is it better to stay with one manufacturer or not an issue?

XOs, Madisound (Leap), how good are their designs vs. crunching the numbers and choosing the components (and tweaking)?

As far as price, I've seen some respectable 5.1 systems for around 1200-1600, ideally I think I can diy for $1k or less. That would be my price point.
Old 11th November 2005, 03:14 AM   #12
Grahamt is offline Grahamt  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XOtothelight
Grahamt's last comments: Don't have any measuring equipment. I had planned on taking the manufacturers word on driver spec for inclusion into the design equations.
That is what I suspected. I highly suggest you do not go that route. That was the advice given to me when I started here. To design your own crossovers you really need to measure the drivers yourself and model the crossover in a software program. Then build, listen, remeasure and tweak. SpeakerWorkshop is a good free design program.

I just dont want you to waste your time or money.

Dont trust manufacturers specs, and dont use the textbook equations.
Old 11th November 2005, 03:26 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I've looked at SpeakerWorkshop and my computer supports it. Haven't had the time to figure out how to run it adequately. In giving your driver info and spec requirements to Madisound, do they measure your driver for you, for inclusion into Leap?
Old 11th November 2005, 03:34 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Here are some the drivers I've looked at:\

Tweeter

Vifa-D27TG-35-06
-DX195SD-05-04
-MG27SG29-04
-PL27TG05
-TC26TG05

Mid

Peerless HDS (series - not specific yet)
Vifa-D26NC
Seas-27TBCFG

One thing I didn't verify was shielding. Any center and front L&R will need to be shielded (and sub probably).
Old 3rd December 2005, 09:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Okay, after further review .....

Tweeter:

Morel MDT33 or MDT40

Mid:

Morel MW168 or Peerless 850439 (6.5") or Vifa P17SJ-00-08

Sub:

NHT 1259 or HiVi F12 either with a power amp.

Any suggestions? The pairing? Vented vs. sealed? I haven't attempted to crunch any numbers yet. I'll stick with a passive XO on the 2-way, any suggestions on order and type?
Old 4th December 2005, 12:17 AM   #16
just another
diyAudio Moderator

hehehe I think you have revised your budget????

anyway one observation the peerless looks like a nice driver but doesn't appear to be sheilded, which could be a problem.

I assume you have chosen the MW168 over the MW166 because of it's slightly higher sensitivity?? one thing to be aware of is that its xmax is only 3.5mm compared to the MW166 which is 4.25mm.... might not be an issue depending on how low you want to cross to your subs, and what levels you will be listening at.

If you decide on Morel for the midbass, then I'd consider the new uniflow baskets, they look a major improvement over the baskets on the older woofers... I'm starting to think that the big dip I see at around 2Khz with my MW144's is due to the basket. the MW166's and MW168's both come in the new uniflow range.... don't know what sort of additional cost it is though.

if you haven't seen it you might want to check out the LDSG site. It has a lot of information on a lot of drivers, not all good drivers are on it, but quite a lot are
Old 4th December 2005, 02:22 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response. My budget .... is somewhat floating. I didn't what appear to barebones and I'm willing to pay a little more for capability. I must have overlooked the Peerless shielding. I have have been to the LDSG site. That's probably where I got most of the compairitive data I used. As much as I'd like to have 5.1 right off the bat, I think I could get by on 2.1 and add on.

Hide this!Advertise here!