Morel transmision line with mw166

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you think about this speaker project?

I need some good sounding speakers for Leach Super amp to replace my B&W 602 S 2 analitical sounding speaker.

Any comments are welcome!

Supernet

Attachments

• lin166-1.gif
    lin166-1.gif
    66.6 KB · Views: 762
looks good

I've never heard morel drivers, but just going by the specs and price and looks and materials used they seem to be one of the very best. I don't like their that some or all of their woofer have stamped steal baskets and foam surrounds. Although I know some people say foam surrounds are more effiencent and therefore sound better.

Dp you have to stuff the line? If so with what?

Re: looks good

Jimmy154 said:
I've never heard morel drivers, but just going by the specs and price and looks and materials used they seem to be one of the very best. I don't like their that some or all of their woofer have stamped steal baskets and foam surrounds. Although I know some people say foam surrounds are more effiencent and therefore sound better.

Dp you have to stuff the line? If so with what?

What you call stamped steelframe shouldnt be compared with other cheap drivers like the stamped frames of peerless and others.

I have a pair of 166 and a pair of 142. the frames on them is atleast as good as the scanspeaks i have and even harder.

/kasra

I didn't expect the stuffing to be so simple. I guess the dark stuffing is rubber or something and the lighter stuffing is wool or poly fill or foam? Anyway it's very good, if I had the money and/or time to buy/build the drivers I would definately build it. I asked about the stuffing cause that's a big negative for t-line speakers from my perspective. Who wants to put wool in the first third, polyfil in the second, and polyfil in the last third. And make sure the stuffing gets less dense as you go down the line. Not to mention getting the allround density correct, so it's tuned to the correct frequency. And my personal favorite put in dowls and nets or whatever to make sure it doesn't settle over time. I know the stuffing absorbs resonances, but it's nice to build the line a little bit longer or bigger and keep that happy fluffy stuff to a mininum.:xeye:

Two comments ....

I looked at the design quickly and saw one thing that didn't jumped out. There does not seem to be any baffle step correction in the crossover circuit. Without measuring the drivers, and the completed system, I cannot tell if this is taken care of as a by product of the crossover, the stuffing distribution, or has just been neglected. Without BSC I find that the quarter wavelength style of speakers that I have built sound a little light in the bass.

With respect to stuffing, I found no difference between wool and polyester pillow stuffing (Dacron Hollofil II). I cannot comment on other fibers since I have never used or measured anything else. I have a small spring scale that I use to measure out the correct weight of stuffing which I put into cheese-cloth rolled bags tied at the top and bottom. Then you can either tie them into the enclosure using a hook or staple them directly to the cabinet wall. The stuffing is really the easest part of the TL construction in my opinion.

If you want to get a handle on the low frequency response, I would recommend running some simulations to see how good the design is or how much better it could be.

Martin
www.quarter-wave.com

Supernet,

You are very welcome. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask either on the forum or in a private e-mail from my site.

I think that you will find that the MathCad worksheets are relatively simple to use once you get aquainted with entering values into the program. Start with the simple worksheets (minimal input required) and work towards the more complex worksheets. They really do work and a lot of people have built successful TL designs using them. Best of all they are FREE!

Good luck,

Martin
www.quarter-wave.com

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Ah, but if Dave (planet 10) found out... Oh the shame!:bawling:

Supernet-

Just been checking the specs of the driver though, and I have to say the Fs looks a bit high at 50Hz. The bass will probably sound fast and tight, but not that low, and may give you the same sort of analytical quality you are trying to lose from your old speakers.:(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.