Which driver for the midrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I heard a pair of Lowthers some time ago and was impressed with the sound. My complaint is that I found them weak in the upper and lower extremes. So why not use a speaker like the lowther that can do it. My only issue with Lowther is that I have never seen a frequency response from one of their drivers. For this reason I have avoided using their products.

I have been out of building speakers for 8 years now because I got married and the spouse was too demanding :smash: I’ve taken care of that now so I have to re-study all my literature, you would be surprised at how fast one can forget in a short period of time. My new way of thinking now is to maybe try a three way system using a Lowther and the esotar with my vifa 10 inch bass driver that I have. There are no 5 or 6.5 inch woofers or MW that I have found that have a wide enough response to make crossover design simple. Look at the Scans-speak units after 2K hz they lose it. This is typical of most drivers out there and has always been my biggest complaint with the manufacturers. I have known about Lowthers but have not taken the plunge yet. I think that it should be the way to go if only I could see some response curves.

Any comments to the above?

Lowther seems terribly expensive to me- I recommend having a look at some Fostex full-range drivers, or certain pro drivers by companies like PHL, eminence, and B&C.

Is high efficiency or crossoverless operation your main criteria? Part of the reason some of these midwoofers are so well regarded even though they are bad over 2 to 3 khz is that they get crossed over even lower than that. Other than avoiding breakup and garbage, a good reason to push the crossover lower is an improved off-axis dispersion pattern.

Of course, that really throws out the wisdom of keeping crossovers out of the frequency range to which our ears are most sensitive!

vifa 10"bass with lowther and Esotar tweeter, sound like the perfect road to disaster. The woofer and tweeter do not combine with the caracter of the Lowther drivers. If you are looking for top end extenion for a Lowther unit you might better look at super-horn tweeters like the Fostex units or even the Beyma's. The Esotar simply does not have the dynamics to cope with a Lowther driver, same counts for the bass driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.