How to change ohm value of speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ohm's law can't be defeated

This is basically off-topic as it doesn't relate to a practical solution to changing an 8 Ohm driver to 4 Ohm.

But you CAN connect an 8 ohm driver to an amp that has -4 Ohm source impedance and thus the amp and driver will behave as if the driver was 4 Ohm.

If I remember correctly, an amp can have negative source impedance by virtue of positive feedback.

ACE BASS, which I don't understand, makes use of an amp with negative source impedance.

Don't ask me to explain in detail how all of this works.

For what it's worth,
Pete

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Both of these options will work but they require skill, particularly using a positive feedback amp. I doubt I'd choose to use this method for this kind of problem myself let alone recommend it to someone that may never have heard of it.

The facts of the matter at hand are that the amp won't be damaged and the power difference is not that significant. Due to the way we hear things the power needs to be viewed in a logarithmic way. 20W is not much differrent to 10W. Just try it and see.

If you need more power then the most practical solution will be another amp or speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.