How did you mount crossover, John Krutke?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm building the Seas L18/27TBFCG all metal system and I'm wondering how and where you fastened the crossover.

Did it mount over the Sonic Barrier on standoffs or did you cut out the SB and screw the crossover directly to the cabinet ?

Anyone else who has built this speaker, feel free to chime in!

Anyway, thanks for the great design

Jeff Cohen
Brooklyn, New York

Hello,

I have two methods. The first and probably the best is to use screwed in wood spacers and glue the spacers to the cabinet. No damping in the area behind the crossover board. In other words, take four 1/2" cubes of wood and pre-drill a screw hole in the middle of them. Screw each one into the corner of the crossover board. Then put a dab of wood glue on each spacer and place it on the side near the back. The glue will dry between the spacers and the cabinet, holding the crossover firm, but the screws into the spacers still allow you to remove it if you need to.

The second method, less professional but still effective, is to cut the crossover board a half inch less than a cabinet inside dimension and wedge it into the whispermat or silent barrier. It's easy to do and I haven't had a crossover fall out or move around yet, even when shipped (thrown, punted, fumbled) by UPS.

Good luck, and don't forget to post pictures.

John

Thanks for your reply, John. I figured standoffs were the way to go and from your reply it seems like you mount the crossover on the side wall toward the back.

Would it be advantageous to just cutout the foam for the four 1/2" cubes and have the crossover just touch the foam, for dampening?

Thanks,
Jeff from Brooklyn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.