Advice on cab design for Fostex FE206 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2005, 09:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Advice on cab design for Fostex FE206

Hi all. First time here so please excuse if this has been asked before:

After a recommendation from a friend I am now the proud owner of a Sonic Impact t-amp. I own and play mostly vinyl on a Rega Planar 3 (an old one with an R200 arm) but also recently purchased an excellent Rotel RCD991 CD player. A friend gave me a pair of Eltax LR 6.5's which I have filled with sand and connected via QED Silver cable (I have modded my t-amp so it can accept banana plugs). The whole set-up sounds pretty good but I am getting an itch to try something different and here is what I am thinking, if it is possible:

1. Purchase and modify another t-amp (just upgrading the speaker terminals). The purpose of this is to 'bi-amp' (not sure if this is the correct terminology but to use one t-amp to drive a pair of speakers and one to drive a sub). I have been looking at a REL sub (possibly Q150 or Q200) which I think are active so am not sure whether it would be necessary to purchase the second t-amp? If the second t-amp is not necessary then how would the signal be split from the source to feed 1 t-amp and the sub?

2. Purchase 2x Fostex FE206 drivers and build a pair of speakers. I understand that although the t-amp sounds great it prefers more sensitive speakers and the Fostex drivers would accomplish this - 96db?. The other reason for the choice of drivers is the fact that I would not have to worry about a crossover. I got the idea of using Fostex drivers from http://www.fostexspeakers.com/fostex.html

Does anyone have any advice regarding the above, i.e experience of using a single driver instead of a 2-way design? Although I currently have floorstanding speakers I would prefer a smaller cabinet (I have considered Acoustic Energy AE1 and ProAc Response 1SC but I think the AEs are quite power hungry and probably not suitable for the t-amp and the ProAc are out of my price range). Can anyone point me in the right direction of an appropriate cabinet design which would make good use of the Fostex drivers and would be fairly simple to build (I do not own the correct tools so would need to find a cabinet maker). Due to neighbours I am not able to play music loud but instead would be looking for good imaging, controlled bass and non-harsh treble. I listen to mostly ambient music (Brian Eno, The Orb) which can produce distant, thunderous bass and, occasionaly, early Floyd, Beck, Elbow and Radiohead.

Hide this!Advertise here!