easy question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I have 4 wharfedale speakers, both 100 watt and 8 ohm.

2 rear, 2 front. I use a sony amp with pro logic.

The problem is that the rear speakers are almost no noticeble. I want them to be 2-3 times lauder but I can't manage to do so.

I have the amp in Phantom mode so that the sound of the center is spread over the 2 front speakres and I have the rear level at +10 db (max.) And it's till too soft.

Is it somehow possible to the rear speakers lauder?

Thanks,

Ilia

Hi, the majority of the sound will be from the front, with the rears as mostly effects. With that, are the amps rear channels rated the same as the fronts, power wise?
My Yamaha has 105 watts across the front, with only 35 W. to the rear, but it also has a -10dB cut switch for the mains on the rear panel, to assist with volume matching.
Have you checked for proper polarity on those rear channels?
Same gauge wire to front and rear, and/or extremely long run to the rears?
How are the rears placed, in relation to the mains and the listening position?
Who said this was easy?

My Sony receiver has a couple functions. Check to see if yours does.

1. I can set the distance of each speaker from the listening area. This helps receiver play the necessary loudness per channel.

2. Set your rear speakers to "Large" as opposed to "Small". With the "Large" Setting, you get more of the audible spectrum.

3. You can also set the position, whether the rear channels are directly behind you or to the side of you.

Hope this helps.

Have you run the test tone through the receiver and then adjusted the levels so they sound the same level from the listening position or used a SPL meter?

Remember, during a movie, the rears are only for ambience and a few effects and if you are using pro logic, then they'll be mono with the frequency range limited to 100Hz-7kHz.

Your receiver might have an option to "attenuate main speakers 10dB" or something like that.

Get the handbook out and have a look.

Thank you all from replying.

ironwoods: I cannot adjust the power that goes to rear and front with this amp. I can not check the proper polarity, don't have the equipment for it, but all should be fine. The wire is not extremly long, it's about 6 meters to one and 4 to another rear speaker. same goes for the front speakers.
I have a home cinema set (with a diy projector :) , so the two front speakers are about 1 meter from the ground agast the wall, with a distance of 2 meters in between. Rear speakers are allmost touching the seeling and are in the top corners of the room with the same distance in between as the fronts. You of course can hear the differense in sound if you turn them on and off, but they are hardly noticeable.

69stingray: I can also set the distance of each speaker but it does not make the laudness change for me. And the position I can not change (if they are behind me or at the sides etc.)

johninCR: I cannot lower the sound level of the mains, there is not function for it. And there are other modes avaiable, but they don't that well because you must have a center speaker, so it sounds bad.

I also did the test with the "Test Tone" and that did sound louder on the rear speaker (since it's 10db+) but the normal sound is hardly noticable. It just would be nice if I could hear them more.

Thanks,

Ilia

The idea is to have the rears and fronts set with the test tone so they are the same level with the tone only. During program playback, the rears are only very subtle, mostly for atmosphere and you should not be able to directly locate the sound, unless it's a special effect like a plane fly past or gun shot.

Rears and fronts playing the same level and same material is a no no so get them out of speaker B. Rears are not supposed to be loud. Have a listen at your local Hi Fi shop with one set up and you'll know what I mean. :bigeyes:

Have a read at the Dolby site on Pro Logic as it will give you more of an insight.

I know this isn't going to help much but if you want your rear channels to sing, watch a car race on the round and round channel, oops I mean Speed channel. The sound directed to the rears is so much that it clouds the front and center channels and makes the announcers hard to hear. Quite the opposite of your problem.
That's with an H/K with 55 watts front and 25 rear.

Hope you find a solution,
Cal

The problem is, that I don't have an imput on my amp for 2 channels (L and R) I only have 1. So I have a cable going from my sound card's main output to the main imput of the amp.

So the rear speaker output on my amp stays empty and I am not able to make use of it, which means the windows controle won't make a differance at all..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.