Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2005, 12:17 PM   #1
iLyO is offline iLyO  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default easy question

Hello all,

I have 4 wharfedale speakers, both 100 watt and 8 ohm.

2 rear, 2 front. I use a sony amp with pro logic.

The problem is that the rear speakers are almost no noticeble. I want them to be 2-3 times lauder but I can't manage to do so.

I have the amp in Phantom mode so that the sound of the center is spread over the 2 front speakres and I have the rear level at +10 db (max.) And it's till too soft.

Is it somehow possible to the rear speakers lauder?

Thanks,

Ilia
Old 6th November 2005, 12:57 PM   #2
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Normally these are adjusted in the player and the decoder sections. So what kind of equipment are you using? Is there a manual that tells you how to adjust the surround amplitude and delay?
Old 6th November 2005, 01:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, the majority of the sound will be from the front, with the rears as mostly effects. With that, are the amps rear channels rated the same as the fronts, power wise?
My Yamaha has 105 watts across the front, with only 35 W. to the rear, but it also has a -10dB cut switch for the mains on the rear panel, to assist with volume matching.
Have you checked for proper polarity on those rear channels?
Same gauge wire to front and rear, and/or extremely long run to the rears?
How are the rears placed, in relation to the mains and the listening position?
Who said this was easy?
Old 6th November 2005, 01:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
My Sony receiver has a couple functions. Check to see if yours does.

1. I can set the distance of each speaker from the listening area. This helps receiver play the necessary loudness per channel.

2. Set your rear speakers to "Large" as opposed to "Small". With the "Large" Setting, you get more of the audible spectrum.

3. You can also set the position, whether the rear channels are directly behind you or to the side of you.

Hope this helps.
Old 6th November 2005, 01:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Set the mains to a lower level. That will raise the relative loudness of the rears. Also, what sound mode do you have it set for other than the phantom center and what modes are available?
Old 6th November 2005, 02:57 PM   #6
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Have you run the test tone through the receiver and then adjusted the levels so they sound the same level from the listening position or used a SPL meter?

Remember, during a movie, the rears are only for ambience and a few effects and if you are using pro logic, then they'll be mono with the frequency range limited to 100Hz-7kHz.

Your receiver might have an option to "attenuate main speakers 10dB" or something like that.

Get the handbook out and have a look.
Old 6th November 2005, 03:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you all from replying.

ironwoods: I cannot adjust the power that goes to rear and front with this amp. I can not check the proper polarity, don't have the equipment for it, but all should be fine. The wire is not extremly long, it's about 6 meters to one and 4 to another rear speaker. same goes for the front speakers.
I have a home cinema set (with a diy projector , so the two front speakers are about 1 meter from the ground agast the wall, with a distance of 2 meters in between. Rear speakers are allmost touching the seeling and are in the top corners of the room with the same distance in between as the fronts. You of course can hear the differense in sound if you turn them on and off, but they are hardly noticeable.

69stingray: I can also set the distance of each speaker but it does not make the laudness change for me. And the position I can not change (if they are behind me or at the sides etc.)

johninCR: I cannot lower the sound level of the mains, there is not function for it. And there are other modes avaiable, but they don't that well because you must have a center speaker, so it sounds bad.

I also did the test with the "Test Tone" and that did sound louder on the rear speaker (since it's 10db+) but the normal sound is hardly noticable. It just would be nice if I could hear them more.

Thanks,

Ilia
Old 6th November 2005, 05:09 PM   #8
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Excuse the obvious question, but are you playing Dolby encoded material?
If it's normal stereo, the rear level will be very low.
Old 6th November 2005, 09:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes, just dubble checked. I am playing kill bill dvd now and the rear speakers are really 3-4 times less loud then the front onces.... (
Old 7th November 2005, 06:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I now have all the front and back speakers in A and B of the amp.

This makes them sound at the same level but it is not dolby pro logic anymore... Anyone any idea's on how to make it sound lauder with dolby?

Hide this!Advertise here!