Low Power Handling Rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at Usher's 9930-20 tweeter and it has a rather low power handling rating, 10W normal and a 15W Peak. My amplifier can deliver about 60 watts, would this be a problem? The system is not bi-amped but I'm thinking about it for the future, then i'll use SE 2A3 for the tweeter.

Also about Bi-Amping, when removing the crossover from the speaker, I should leave in the resistance and baffle step compensation, right?

Thanks.

amirmk said:
I'm looking at Usher's 9930-20 tweeter and it has a rather low power handling rating, 10W normal and a 15W Peak. My amplifier can deliver about 60 watts, would this be a problem? The system is not bi-amped but I'm thinking about it for the future, then i'll use SE 2A3 for the tweeter.

Also about Bi-Amping, when removing the crossover from the speaker, I should leave in the resistance and baffle step compensation, right?

Thanks.
Usher is just being honest. Most tweeters would have similar thermal power handling. Actual power handling in a system depends on crossover frequency and slope, so at say 4 kHz & 12dB/octave, that tweeter woould be fine in a 200Watt system.

454Casull said:
Headroom generally means that you aren't operating near the limits. In this context, it would mean that you have extra power so that you don't clip, and can use the extra power for clean transients.

Exactly, an amp will only deliver as much power as you ask it to (through use of the volume knob). You could power that tweeter with a 2000 watt amp if you wanted to, unless you really cranked up the volume the tweeter would never see more than a few watts anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.