need tweeter under $30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need a set of tweeters with a few constraints:

They need to be under 30 dollars per tweeter. They need to be 4 ohm. They need to be able to handle at least 65 watts rms. They need to be able to be crossed over at 3500 hz.
I have ben unable to figure out from lloking at specs on tweeters, where they should be crossed over, so right now I am playing a guessing game, so any input would be appreciated.

Cal Weldon said:
The only thing I understand is the 30 dollar limit.

Why don't you tell us what you are doing so we can assist a little more. Your post makes it difficult to help.

Well, i had a nother post located here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67210 However, no one responded to it. That explaind what I am trying to do.

I under stand it is not the best way or even a good way to set up some components. I just want to know if it would work at all.

454Casull said:
Wiring 2 4-ohm loads in series will get you an 8 ohm load, not 2.

I meant to say parallel

Cal Weldon said:
If you want a tweeter that you can cross over at 3500hz, go to PE or other supplier and get a tweeter that has an Fs of 1750Hz or lower. It doesn't need to be 4 ohm. Try this link. Partway down, the domes start. Pick out some and come back with your ideas.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage...rby=1&sm=1&so=1&search_type=12346098&desc=ASC

I ahd been looking at parts express and madisound previously. Two tweeters that I had looked at are vifa

MG27TG29-04
DX25TG05-04ohm

Zaph said:
If you want to cross over at 3500, look no further than the Seas 22TAFG. The tall order harmonic distortion above 3kHz is the best I have ever tested. The second best would be the Accuton C23, but that costs in the $200+ range.

Crossing tweeters over that high is relatively uncommon however. Your midrange had better be very small, and mounted very close to the tweeter.

Seas 22TAFG Frequency Response

Seas 22TAFG Harmonic Distortion

Seas 22TAFG Cumulative Spectrum Decay

What do you mean by very small? I was planning on using a 6.5" Boston Acoustic rally series midwoofer. the specs on it from the company are:
Recommended Amplifier Power: 20-275 watts
Frequency response: 60-20KHz (+/-3dB in car)
Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
Sensitivity: 90dB (1 watt / 1 meter)

The mid and tweeter would bve mounted about 2 inches away from each other.

I just thought of another solution to my problem. I have an alpine 9813, with a 3 way active crossover built into it, as well as 27 watts rms output. Now, with that in mind, I am thinking I will run the Bostons off my amp, with the active crossover from the alpine. then, I will run the tweeters off of the HU with the active crossover as well. I can sell the kicker crossover, use that money, save up and buy another amp. I think this sounds like a much better idea.
With that in mind, does anyone have some tweeter ideas that would run less than 60 shipped?

Wouldeither of the Vifas that I had mentioned erlier be a good choice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.