Adding a supertweeter for FR over 10k - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2005, 03:24 AM   #1
chuck55 is offline chuck55  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Adding a supertweeter for FR over 10k

Has anyone had experiences with adding a supertweeter (with a cap to cut the LF) to a driver which naturally rolls off over 10kHz? It seems to be hard to find a single driver which can do bass to 50hz or lower and still be smooth in the HF. So is adding a supertweeter a better way to do it - like Hammer Dynamics speaker?
Since a 1" tweeter will be beaming over 10kHz anyhow is is hard to integrate the drivers? Any timing or coherence issues?
Maybe the best corollary would be the sound differences between the WR-125 with a supertweeter, and FR-125. Identical drivers except the way the HF is produced.
Thanks
Old 4th November 2005, 04:46 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I am a believer that if you can get away with a 6dB XO then go for it. Mind you, you have to have drivers that go well together so the overlap is integrated. I would recommend you try it with a cap and if more separation is needed then go to cap and coil for 12dB. If you have to go steeper than that either the drivers aren't well matched or there is a power handling issue. In one of my sets, I have a titanium dome that I cross over with a simple 1.5 mfd cap. Sort of like a super tweeter. Is that what you were asking?

Cal
Old 6th November 2005, 10:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Cal,
Yes that's what I was asking. How much will adding a supertweeter mess up the sound as compared to 1) full range or 2) 2-way with a sub x-over at 100-200 hz.
I was discussing this with a friend who has Fostex F200A because he requires bass to 20-30hz. But I guess the sound is not quite right and before spendsing $1,200 on Supravox drivers I mentioned the option of a driver with an added supertweeter or a subwoofer. But the sub would mess up harmonics and timing much worse than a supertweeter.
I didn't recommend whizzer's because they always mess up the sound to me with funny resonances, etc. Also there are a lot more options when going with 2 drivers.
The hammer dynamics is a typical design.

hammerdynamics
Old 7th November 2005, 12:58 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have done quite a bit of this. At those high of frequencies the ear isn't as discriminating.

We actually just built a speaker specifically for testing WR+budget tweeter vrs FR125. Check the Bipolar Bipoles thread.

Really, really close WR+tweeter a bit more sparkle and better HF dispersion, FR maybe a bit better imaging. A better tweeter might shift the difference, but the little ApexJr is quite the performer for this kind of ap.

Takes a bit of playing to get the right cap value, but the methodology is straight forward.

dave
Old 9th November 2005, 12:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Planet10, just what I was looking for. Nice looking speakers. What is the x-over point for the WR +Apex?
Thanks again.
Old 9th November 2005, 01:06 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck55
What is the x-over point for the WR +Apex?
somewhere between 12-13k

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!