Aurum Cantus Drivers for First Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is going to be my first project and I want to keep it simple. I am a big Linn fan (my current speakers are Linn Katans) so my main design criteria are rythmic stability / transient speed and pitch accuracy. I do not want to go over $250 on drivers (I am assuming the project will total about 2x the driver price?).

After looking at a lot of drivers I think I want to try Aurum Cantus woofers with a dome tweeter in a simple 2 way. The choices are:

AC-180F1D: A 7" driver with dual voice coils (would i even know what to do with them?). It seems to me this driver would work well in a sealed enclosure making design easier in that respect. Obviously I will loose off axis smoothness, but probably have decent bass for a stand mount.

AC-130MKII: A 5.25 driver with carbon fiber/kevlar cone. This driver looks to me like it demands a vented enclosure which I think would be much harder to design. Probably better off-axis responce and can be crossed over at very high frequencies (from manufacture specs).

Tweeter will probably be Morel DMS-30 or similar.

I would apreciate any thoughts on the compromises that would be made in either case. Keep in mind that I am looking for bass quality and speed, not quantity. Also if you can think of any other drivers that would meet my requirements better then the ACs please let me know.

Thanks,
Chad

I really like the way these AC woofers measure in WinISD. The 130MKII gives very similar results in a 9,3l (0,33ft^3) vented SBB4 box than the 180F1 in a 23,6l (0,83ft^3) Qtc 0,586 closed box. I haven't heard any of these, but I really would like try to build something with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.