My first DIY, biting off more than I can chew on purpose! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2002, 04:21 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Phil

“So this forum isn't appropriate for my project? Am I insulting this forum by posting? That certainly wasn't my intention”

This forum is IMO the best all out DIY site there is, I didn’t mean to lead you to think that this place couldn’t help you with your questions, there are in fact very knowledgeable people here that can give you better information than me. I just want to let you know of the MAD board in case you haven’t already found it, these two sites are the best there is for your kind of project.

Good Luck with your project.
KD

My DIY SST8's

http://www.geocities.com/kingdaddyke...?1011198404840
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sst8 mod 03.jpg (76.6 KB, 865 views)
Old 11th October 2002, 04:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

KD,

That is a wild speaker! It looks like something out of a 50's sci-fi movie. Doesn't the step response around the tweeter give you problems, (he says, showing his ignorance).

Sorry for the misunderstanding. It sounded like you were shuttling me off to another forum so I thought that perhaps this one was for the more experienced.

Since I'm just starting out, it's likely that a lot of my questions will seem downright dumb. I've read a number of books but it's hard for this old brain to keep every issue in the 'current access' lobe so I can easily forget what I've read a few days ago. I guess that's the second thing that goes.

I do have a friend that knows a lot of high end audiophiles so hopefully I can also get input from him/them as well. He will likely be coming up to use my shop to build his cabinets so I'll have a partner in crime.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll need it.

Phil
Old 11th October 2002, 06:15 PM   #13
The one and only

Say, you're pretty good with that saber saw!

Old 12th October 2002, 05:01 AM   #14
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
king daddy! your speakers are fantastic. the link provided showed onyl 2 photos. are there any photos of th speaker during construction stages.

how did you attain that shape?

difraction step compensation and edge difraction on the tweeter but have been hell right? the midrnages would have benefitted from the sloped baffles.

would like to learn more about this speaker.

regards
navin
Old 12th October 2002, 06:31 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

OK, here goes.

An all Vifa solution

XT25TG30-04 Tweeter
M10MD-39-08 Mid
P21W0-39-08 Woof

WMTMW First order XO at 300 and 3000. Boxes at 0.57 35-20k @ 100 dB.

Doable? Dumb? The parts individually are ranked high on the snipets page I was sent to. On first glance they seem to play nice.

The only challenge, (beside the XO of course), is that the tweet and mid will have to be fairly close and a stepped cabinet is a must. The question is how to optimize that.

By the way, I read in "Loud Speaker Design Cookbook" that stepped baffles are prefered over slanted baffels. Supposedly they are equivalent on center but NOT off axis. The stepped maintains better alignment.

I haven't done any simulation yet, (that's next weeks assignment), so this all may fall apart but the overlaps seem adequate and the XO's don't seem out of whack.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 12th October 2002, 08:56 AM   #16
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

kingdaddy: Those speakers are f-i-n-e fine.

nelson: I have to say that I very much like your view on speaker building.

phil: I have no technical aptitude whatsoever so I will not pretend to give you any advice.
Old 12th October 2002, 03:28 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Jason,

It's rare indeed to find a person with no opinion!

I choose Vifa because they have a very good reputation, are used in a lot of high end speakers, (Snell, Dunlavy, etc.) and aren't too expensive. I had a goal of $500/pr.

I choose the particular models because they got good reviews for being very smooth through the passband and they filled the technical criterion I was shooting for.

This is my first DIY, excepting a sonosub, and I wouldn't have even attempted it excepting that there are now some very nice automated crossover design programs, (Soundeasy, etc.), presently available and I am currently unemployed which gives me plenty of time and a money saving incentive.

Hopefuly I will get some good feedback from those who are a magnitude or two above my experience level.

Anyone else?
Old 13th October 2002, 01:34 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil O.son
So this forum isn't appropriate for my project?

Is madisound a better place....
I think he was saying that Madisound is a good place to ask questions about Speaker Workshop... we are interested in your speaker.

Bryston 10B -- awfully nice kit that...

dave
Old 13th October 2002, 07:30 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Ah, I see! I'll have to check them out when I have more questions.

Well, from the comments I've been getting, I certainly have set a real challange for myself!

A few of my favorite sayings:

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Originality is the ability to forget your source.

If you aim for the stars, you just may hit the line pole, but if you aim only for the line pole, you may end up shooting yourself in the foot!

By the way, I built my own 3000 sq ft. house, including the design, complete plans, all plumbing heating and electrical and everything else except the foundaton so I'm no stranger to a challenge or to infinite patience.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 14th October 2002, 02:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navin
how did you attain that shape?
Sorry for the late reply, but I went right to page 2 and didn't relize that there were more posts on page 1. The answer to your question concerning the construction details are difficult to put into words, lets just say I built many jigs, and everything was glued and clamped no screws anywhere in the cabinets. You should get the idea from the attached Pic's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dry assy3.jpg (83.2 KB, 267 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!