Veneered MDF suppliers in the UK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for all the replies guys -it's much appreciated. I can design them; I can build them, but what I'm not good at is veneering or finishing, hence the query. Especially as I've recently started looking into very large TQWT and horn enclosures. No way I can veneer those well. All we've got around Hull (daft, considering most of the timber imported into the UK comes through Hull) is a B&Q, a Homebase and a few scattered smaller shops dealing in fence posts and lengths of pine. My old merchant was up Scarborough way, but he sadly went out of business about 18 months ago now. I'll check them all out. I'm also wanting to start using decent hardwoods for some designs, so these will be very useful. Any favourite finishes while we're on the topic (subjective I know, but I'd be interested in what people have bought or like best).

Cheers for now & enjoy the music!
Scott

The prices for the veneered stuff were so outrageous considering the quality that I saw, I went back to doing it the old fashioned way, with separate veneer, applied using the Bob Brines method (roll glue onto box and veneer, leave to try. Add another coat to just the box, let dry, then iron the veneer on with plenty (but not too much) of heat. I'm still not great, but the best I can do, and I'm improving a bit. Better though, I can select the veneers I like most.

Anyone know of a decent solid-wood supplier whilst we're on the subject?

Scott

Vale Veneers

Hi Vikash,

I have used Vale Veneers, and found their products, help in selecting the best choice of woods for the intended purpose, and speed of supply, all to be excellent. They have some really gorgeous woods in their stock, too.

I have also used their plastic 'iron-on' film product for attaching veneer, which is great to apply, with no smells or mess etc., and even though a bit expensive, I wouldn't go back to using any other method now.

Incidentally, I have no connection with these suppliers, except for being a very satisfied customer. I only discovered them quite recently, but wish I had known about them before.

In this day and age, is it is good to be able to honestly sing a suppliers' praises.

Vale

Hi Al,

If it is any help to know, these people even sent me three different samples of woods prior to my order, as, like you, I normally like to see what I am getting.

On this occasion, I was being extremely fussy and chose some almost white maple for a pair of quite large speakers. As you may know, this will often have some small flecks of darker brown which I didn't want, but as they had circa 24 sheets in stock and I only needed 8, they even chose those with the least flecks for me, at my request, but they were still book-matched leaves!

The plasic film is really good and is 'domestically' better than anything else I have ever tried, especially if you are using the good old kitchen table to work on.
Having mastered the technique during a small trial run, I found it is so easy to use that the cost is well justified in my opinion.

I haven't veneered, or spray finished any of my projects to date. I always hit a stumbling block here. The only one I can truly count as finished is the TB monitors which were made in ply so only required some oil ;)

Having no experience with either method, which one would you guys say has the most chances of success first time, and which one is quicker? I really like my latest cabs and don't wanna funk them up at the last hurdle. :xeye:

Attachments

• flushtrim01.jpg
    flushtrim01.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 350
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
As long as your corners are still sharp, and not rounded over, then veneering should work. I much prefer real veneer wood to a spray paint finish, but that may only be because of the amount of fussing around and mess that spraying makes. Oh, and the fumes ain't so bad either. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.