Morel vs. Dynaudio drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine has a loudspeaker DIY shop here in Hamburg, he has a lot of speakers there, I've listened to quiet a lot of Morel concepts and nearly or maybe all dynaudio speakers since 1988. Even the €5.000,- dynaudios sounding completely unrealistic in ANY term, and Morel... naaah.... i.e: Vifa, Seas & Eton are all lightyears ahead. The problem with dynaudio and morel is maybe they do not have much colorations but they are hopelessly slow and the transienst responses are a laugh, that makes this drivers sooooooo boring and out of reality.

HU521 14cm 54mm Poly Cone 88 160 8 5.6 .53 16 46 9.9 2.2 .46 .37 ±3.5 119
HU531 14cm 75mm Poly Cone 86 180 8 6.8 .63 13 46 9.9 1.8 .46 .37 ±4.3 119
HU621 16cm 54mm Poly Cone 90 160 8 5.6 .53 16 43 27 2.3 .45 .38 ±3.5 138
HU631 16cm 75mm Poly Cone 88 180 8 6.8 .63 13 44 17 1.7 .46 .36 ±4.3 138
HU9.1 22cm 75mm Poly Cone 89 200 8 6.6 .87 20 30 71 1.7 .46 .36 ±4.3 196
----------+----+----+---------+--+---+-+---+---+---+----+---+---+---+---+----+-----+
these are excellent Morel very fast and detail,dynaudio personnally are just no good period,any driver.but If you want overall great mid go with vifa,deep bass scanspeak,a bit of both with less detail,slightly though.I have heard peerless
peerless X176WR3308 18cm 33mm Comp Cone 87 150 8 6.1 1.3 9 38 28 2.2 .53 .43 ±5.5
aswome job for the money that is not saying this the best but budget wise excellent.

newfinish said:
HU521 14cm 54mm Poly Cone 88 160 8 5.6 .53 16 46 9.9 2.2 .46 .37 ±3.5 119
HU531 14cm 75mm Poly Cone 86 180 8 6.8 .63 13 46 9.9 1.8 .46 .37 ±4.3 119
HU621 16cm 54mm Poly Cone 90 160 8 5.6 .53 16 43 27 2.3 .45 .38 ±3.5 138
HU631 16cm 75mm Poly Cone 88 180 8 6.8 .63 13 44 17 1.7 .46 .36 ±4.3 138
HU9.1 22cm 75mm Poly Cone 89 200 8 6.6 .87 20 30 71 1.7 .46 .36 ±4.3 196
----------+----+----+---------+--+---+-+---+---+---+----+---+---+---+---+----+-----+
these are excellent Morel very fast and detail,dynaudio personnally are just no good period,any driver.but If you want overall great mid go with vifa,deep bass scanspeak,a bit of both with less detail,slightly though.I have heard peerless
peerless X176WR3308 18cm 33mm Comp Cone 87 150 8 6.1 1.3 9 38 28 2.2 .53 .43 ±5.5
aswome job for the money that is not saying this the best but budget wise excellent.
Initially I wanted to buy something from the hybrid series, but for some reason I changed my mind. Actually "some" reason is that I wanted to have that beautiful dynaudio-like 7.5cm dustcap. I'm an idiot.
Btw, why do they keep using the reason of improved power dissipation for promoting their hexatech "technology", is that just marketing ********? If you simulate a Dynaudio or Morel driver in a bass reflex box (which is what their finished loudspeakers are), they run out of excursion at below 20W.
I listened to the Morel Octave Speakers, and at moderate levels (moderate is not an exaggeration) thy seemed to be close to Xmax, if not beyond. And obviously I could hear that also... Initially I blame the amp for it but I think it's time to realize it was wishful thinking.
What use is good heat dissipation when you're distorting due to high excursion?

Fast transient response... you can't trust anyone nowadays.

I agree. I had a pair of Dynaudio Audience 50s. They were laid back, slow, and completely uninvolving. I tried everything from room treatments, to room placement, two different amplifiers, a CDP and a DVDP, cables, magic pixie dust, and nothing could fix it. I built the Seas L15/27TDFC that Zaph designed, and it's worlds better. I also like the Peerless 850122, and have heard good things about the 850439.

LOL, yes, to me they suck. However, some people may like that sound. It just wasn't suited to Pop, Rock, Jazz Fusion, and other dynamic music I listen to. Not that Classical can't be dynamic, but I believe they were better suited for non-percussive acoustic instruments, primarily strings.

Also, I could bottom those woofers effortlessly with my Odyssey 150W amp. Oh well, you live and you learn. I don't like them though.

Just to bring back some balance, I heard 2 Dynaudio speakers at a show and liked them. I did not gave them much listen, but I found them very balanced, smooth and with very good bass.

On a more general subject, it is true that Morel/Dynaudio are low sensitivity design, with relatively high moving mass, and relatively soft cones, so they may not be the best for transient.

F

Yep, I agree with most here. It almost seems like the woofers are going through a lot of effort just to make sound, both Morel and Dynaudio. They are similar technically and sonically IMHO. I really did like thier tweeters..perfect to my ears;) ...and boy could they (tweets) handle power! I haven't played for them in a number of years though, anything new in the past 10 years I can't speak about.

morels tweeters are great value.
esotar from dynaudio are in the rockport at 100000$ a pair and I listened to those with VTL 200w tube mono blocks awsome detail!!!but less image than my vifa peerless combo funny that price and looks arent everything.
I had the room to myself and took at least a good 45 min to really sink in the room and still all i can say is warmth and dynamics were there like Ive never heard else where but I could easily tell where the sound was coming from the tweeter or the mid or woofer.the rest of the rockport was audiothechnology,enormous detail but no feeling of stage or image:apathic:

Glad to see that many people finally start to realize that Dynaudio is one of the most overrated products in audio ever. I have heard systems that got rave reviews in the magazines but to be honest I liked my el cheapo Sony set in my kitchen more than their most expensive system, soooooooooo booooooooooorrrrring, dull uninvolving, lacking life, dynamics, detail, attack, atrificial sound stage, everithing sounds like plastic in stead of metal/wood/glass or whatever the original instrument is made off. well about everything was wrong on them, and on all off their models. This kind of sound has nothing to do with real life sound.

Some (lots of them actually) people call this high end, I don't understand, really I just cannot believe it. And their are still people moaning that you cannot buy them in the DIY market anymore, BE GLAD, save you a dissapointment for too much money.

I'm sorry that if I get a bit overexicited on this subject.

dynaudio drivers

Hi,

I used to own a number of dynaudio drivers in the last 20 years. From all these drivers I was impressed most with dynaudio's 8" d21w54. This one could be driven to the full power of my mosfet amp (150W RMS) without any trace of effort or audible distortion.

The driver was pretty efficient at 92dB@2.8V. Do not forget that this was 1984 or 1985 and this driver was released a few years earlier. I do not know any 8" driver that could better it in those times. Unfortunately after 6 or 7 years its foam suround disintegrated and that was it.

The other driver I would recommend in those times was D54AF. It was the most efficient dynaudio driver ever: 96dB@2.8V. To get the best of it one had to match it with non dynaudio drivers of similar efficiency and that was almost impossible. Consequently, active solution was the best brilliantly covering 800Hz to over 5kHz range.

The other dynaudio drivers which were quite good were their tweeters with d21 reaching 40kHz but this one had to be crossed high. Interestingly, Dynaudio has never had a decent midrange driver capable of covering wider frequency range.

To summarise - in 1980s many of their drivers were among the best. Their upper mid and tweeter esotars were also among top drivers in 1990s and even today can compete with many other drivers if price is not included in the equation - best toyota with rolls royce price tag?. Looks like dynaudio has been failing for quite a long time in its reseaech.

Morels? Which morels? Israel? USA? some drivers from both countries are good but hardly as original or innovative as dynaudio drivers were in their times but they are affordable and that matters.

cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.