rubbing voice coil - repairable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been gifted a damaged 15" Wharfdale D-054A woofer that came from a pro subwoofer.

The there's a rubbing noise when moving the cone so it appears the voice coil is toast.

Google searches haven't turned up any info.

The woofer is pretty unexceptional looking. Cloth surround, textured paper cone, thin stamped steel basket. Magnet is not very big. Approximately 1.25" by 6".

Fixable or paper weight?

Does the voicecoil show continuity? Is it shorting to the frame when the cone is moved?
If yes to the former and no to the latter, it's probably worth trying to recentre it.
Carefully remove the spider and cone surrounds from the chassis, shim the coil, and refix. Easy!:D (Actually not difficult, but care and time required).

Interesting. I didn't bother testing it with a DMM.

Based on the description, he was underpowering it and running the amp into clipping.

I'll check that out tonight.

How to remove cloth surround? I've seen descriptions for rubber and foam but not cloth.

There's a multipart gasket on the rim that I guess I just carefully peel off. Could someone recommend a solvent to help remove the surround from the basket?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.