Sanity check - designing my speaker to be 8ohm amplifier friendly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm designing an MTM speaker using a pair of VIFA TC14SG49-08 5-1/2". I want the setup to be as efficient as possible, without presenting a difficult load to my receiver, which is only rated for 8 ohm speakers.

I want to wire these to speakers in parallel, and use a 3rd order filter at 2000hz along with a impedance compensation circuit. The problem with that configuration is the impedance will be very low, below 4 ohms I believe.

My idea is to not use the impedance compenstation circuit. This would give me a shallower rolloff, and require the use of larger inductors. If I use a small guage, the larger inductors should increase the overall impedance to something above 5 ohms (hopefully). Any thoughs?

I'd hate to pad down the woofer since that works against my objective of efficient speakers.

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.