Bass/mid drivers - Peerless or SEAS? Nomex?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm looking for some replacement drivers for the GR165s I'm using in a MTM ML TL.

My choices at the moment are or SEAS CA18RNX or Peerless HDS 164 (850439) or Peerless HDS Nomex (830875).

Bass wise they are quite equivalent in the boxes, so the midrange would be the benchmark.

Comments on the Nomex drivers compared to the others?

Thanks,

The Nomex Peerless (830875) look very good IMO. Shorting rings, and a good fs of 48Hz. Very nice breathable and heavy frames as well. How low are you expecting to go? The HDS are very nice as well, and go even lower. I've heard the CSX series and really like them, so I would imagine the HDS are in the same ball park, if not better from a midrange standpoint.

Thanks, xyrium

I don't follow you on the HDS part - my datasheet for the 830875 states HDS Nomex...

Both MJK worksheets for a ML TL and Unibox shows -3dB to be between 40 and 35Hz, that's plenty enough for me (box tune is slightly below 40Hz).

My biggest doubt is if the Nomex cone is equal or better than the sandwich cone used in the previous HDS generation midband wise.

Hi Jorge,

Sorry I confused the matter. The 875 is the Nomex cone as you stated, which I assume uses the HDS frame and motor. When I say HDS, I was referring to the 439. I haven't heard the nomex cone, but I like the sandwich cone for sure. From what I've read, the CSC-X and old HDS (sandwich) are both very easy to accomodate in a xover design though I haven't viewed many FR plots to verify this.

I'm doing a Seas L15/27TDFC that Krutke designed right now, but I am still very interested in doing something with those 439s. I may buy a pair before they are no longer available, just so I have them around when I'm ready.

Good luck!
Paul

magnificent ;)

ill comment further when i post my latest project at some stage, but the 4" HDS in nomex has exceeded my expectations for such a small driver, upper bass and midrange is spot on, even in comparison to the SS 8535s in my clones. free of colouration, and very detailed. not affected by large exursions either, impressive motor.

my 5c anyway.

I have some 830882s they went in on Saturday morning. They sounded a bit gritty and harsh so start with but have calmed down a lot now - they have been playing for about 30 hours.

Very impressed.

I have been trying to find types of music they don't make sound good and I haven't so far :D They even managed to let me listen to half a track of R&B which I generally hate. ;) :D

I agree, they don't colour the music at all.

I prefer then to the poly and especially kevlar mids I have heard by a long way.

Some of my music just soars when played through these. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.