Well, I'm about to venture into my first real DIY home audio project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of very old school drivers given to me from my aunt. I remember them sounding great back in the day and they've been gathering dust in the garage ever since.

They're 15" woofers with a good sized horn comming out of the cone. I don't remember the manufacturer, but they're definatly old (60's/70's?). I'm building fairly cubic enclosures (I'll break up the inside surfaces) on 4' tall 4x4 stands with a wide, flat base. I'm just going to build a simple sealed encolsure since I lack the tools/time/knowledge to build a complex enclosure. Also, I know nothing of the specs, so it'll all be trial and error/guess work and sealed seems to be the way to go in that case. I may try an IB set up though, just for grins.

anyway...just thought I'd pass on the good news. Cary on :cool:

I'm working on box #1 right now. I decided on a nearly cube design. I played with them on wood + cardboard dipole setup and I just wasn't impressed with the low end, even with really wide wings and a top peice. The box is 23"wide, 19"tall, and 24" deep. I'm going to bring it up to about chest high on the stands mentioned in the first post.

I looked at the drivers again and they're actually 3way! They are old Altec drivers (not labled Altec Lansing...later merger?) with a midrange cone in the woofer's cone with a seperate v/c and spider and a horn commng out the middle. There are 2 potentiometers to adjust the midrange and the highs that are wired to the driver.

I'm thinking of covering the box with this really cool looking vinyl tile from Home Depot. It looks kinda like an oxidized slate and the seams blend really well together. I think it'll look really cool with a black driver sittin on a black stand. I may also use a fake marble vinyl tile...I haven't quite decided.

Wish me luck! I'm working with a drill, an old *** skill saw, a tape measure and an old square so hopefully it'll turn out decent. It'll keep me out of trouble for a bit anyway;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.