Passlabs Rushmore

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
David Gatti said:
...my experience has been that the more accurate speakers tend to sound less "impressive" because they don't have exaggerated mids or highs etc.
In my experience also. If the music's impressive, then that's good. If the speaker's impressive, then it's altering the playback or colouring the sound. The only time the speaker should be impressive is when it's off - and then as a peice of sculpture.

All IMHO, of course.

David Gatti said:
I find it very hard to draw conclusions at hi-fi stores, let alone at a noisy exhibition with bad acoustics and unfamiliar music.
Also, my experience has been that the more accurate speakers tend to sound less "impressive" because they don't have exaggerated mids or highs etc.

David, to a certain extent I'd agree with you. But I would never make such sweeping statements.

To provide some context, I heard the Rushmore at CES, however, the room was quite large, it was very quiet and there were exactly three people in it.

Also, to imply that I don't know good sound when I hear it is rather presumptuous, especially considering that you know what I use for a reference speaker.

Instead of trying to be PC by saying that they weren't that impressive, perhaps I should have said that they they sounded bad (they didn't). Or, maybe I should have said that I could hear the traits of the PHL drivers (I did). Or, maybe I should have simply said that my Orion’s sounded vastly better. You pick.

David Gatti said:
Thing is, you were not very specific Mac.
"Not that impressive" and "could hear the traits of the PHL drivers" is extremely vague and tells us very little about their sound. If you are going to criticise a product, I think you should back it up with something more substantial.

traits of the PHL drivers eh??

I have never heard a speaker more "traitless" than the PHL 1120 :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.